PDA

View Full Version : Detailiong: Repeating Brick- coursing and joints not adjustable...

blackdog
2010-06-03, 06:31 PM
New user (1 month) and newbie to forum.
Using a repeating brick pattern in Detailing. ( or even individual components, for that matter):
Details end up looking wrong graphically because it doesn't seem easy to get even coursing. for example, there may be a section of brick veneer (plan) which is 40" ling. We know this is exactly 5 standard bricks long. but there will end up being either a "gap" at the end or there will be an exposed mortar joint. Both look wrong.

Or frequently there will be a need to show some fraction of a brick, and then the joint between adjacent masonry shows NO joint. Is the only solution here a "parametric" brick (or masonry unit) where the length, including joint, can be flexed?

rjcrowther
2010-06-04, 12:26 AM
A repeating detail is quite dumb.

It merely saves you copying the same thing over and over. In other words the detail will repeat with all subsequent parts being a clone of the first.

I would think you would use a repeating detail until the last and then place a separate detail family to incorporate the final brick.

If you are having various fractions of bricks, I would have a brick as a basis, put a masking region on top of it and flex the masking region.

I think you would need a two of these final bricks to cover different mortar joint configurations, or use visibility parameters if have played around with them at some point in your first month.

Thanks,
Rob

tomnewsom
2010-06-04, 09:09 AM
Or, edit the Brick detail family and add an instance parameter and constraint to control the length of the brick, thus allowing the placement of 'flexible' bricks that can be cut to fit.