PDA

View Full Version : Intellisense Shortcuts?

jasperw
2010-06-07, 10:17 AM
Hi,
I have seen the keyboard shortcut file and try to learn the different keyboard shortcuts. The organisation of the file makes it difficult to find the shortcuts.
I am wondering if it is possible to improve the revit keyboard shortcut input in the following way?

When you type the first letter of the keyboard shortcut. a list of shortcuts with the letter will appear. as you type second letter, the list is filtered with shortcuts containing the two letter.. and so on. typically 2 letters are used for the shortcuts. so when the correct shortcuts is entered, the command is active. I think this will help revit users who like to use keyboard entry to find out more shortcuts easily.

I would like to find out if the revit community thinks this is useful and whether it can be done through the API ? or if any one wants to develop this? ( I would have tried to do it if I have the knowledge. unfortunately, I have no knowledge of any programming languages).

Thanks

eric.piotrowicz
2010-06-07, 02:45 PM
If you hover over any icon a popup will appear with info about the command. If it has a shortcut defined it will show up next the the command name in ( ), if no shortcut is defined it will not display anything. I don''t know how beneficial it would be for new users to have an alphabetical list of shortcuts due to the variety of commands that would appear. If someone was to look for Copy (CC) and Ceiling (CN), Curtain Wall (CL), and Coordination Review (CR) showed up. I'm willing to admit that I could be completely wrong but to me that seems like a bunch of clutter that wouldn't mean much since it had nothing to do with my workflow. Maybe if I looked for Copy (CC) and got a list of things like Move (MM), Rotate (RO), and Mirror (MI) it would be helpful since they relate to the tool I'm using. Besides, with the Keyboard Shortcuts (KS) editable on the fly in 2010 its pretty easy to define a shortcut while working. Typically my list grows based on what I'm working on, a couple weeks ago I was doing a bunch of ceilings and after the first few times hunting around for icons I took a couple minutes and defined shortcuts for the commands that I was using most.
Anyway, that just my thoughts and there is some wacky stuff going on up there :lol: