PDA

View Full Version : Rotate Grid Bubble Text (good luck)

mschroeder
2010-06-09, 04:58 PM
Custom grid heads can be tricky. Here is what I was able to determine from a quick investigation.

Text and labels in grid head families do not respond to the "Keep Readable" parameter. Text is always kept readable.

Grid heads always match the orientation of the grid line (regardless of the "Rotate with component" parameter).

The grid line will automatically trim to the horizontal width of the unrotated bubble lines. (see attached picture)

Why does this matter? Well, if you want to have text stacked in a bubble or have very long bubble names, you'll need to make a couple different grid types for the various orientations of grids in the project.

Alfredo Medina
2010-06-09, 05:40 PM
It's the first time I see grid 'bubbles' that look like triangles. They look like section references.

RobG
2010-06-09, 05:51 PM
i'm gonna have to agree with Alfredo... I've never seen Grid bubbles like that..
What condition are you using these in? i'm curious now...

nancy.mcclure
2010-06-10, 12:25 AM
Also shaped grid bubbles (hexigons, etc) do not hold their orientation from the family into the project. We tried to have 2 versions, to represent E/W vs N/S grids, but even though the graphic was oriented in each grid bubble family, they we both oriented the same way in the project. That was a hard one for the Powers That Be to accept.

patricks
2010-06-10, 12:45 PM
Thus why a circle is the best grid head shape. :)

mschroeder
2010-06-10, 05:53 PM
It's the first time I see grid 'bubbles' that look like triangles. They look like section references.

I created the triangular grid head for testing only. It's hard to know what's going on with the orientation of the grid head using a circle.

We've been working on some mega-scale projects that have many different grid systems that need to be clearly distinguished from each other. This is why we went through this exercise to understand how to change them.

regards,
Michael

Dimitri Harvalias
2010-06-10, 06:51 PM
different grid systems that need to be clearly distinguished from each other.

I thought that's why we name them differently ;)

What about color coding. Create a variety of styles that have different colored grid lines. If you need the grid heads to be the same color you could use filters as well.

stephan.villeneuve
2010-11-19, 02:13 PM
Hello mschroeder,

I saw your information this morning because I have received last week a question concerning bubble grid with 2 texts.

I have discoverd on another WEB site one good procedure to create a bubble grid with a new family (rfa) and a "shared parameters" file (txt).

It works fine but... Text isn't like your image "hard-to-do.gif"... Why?

Do you have a more explaination for me?

I need text horizontal all the time.

Sorry for my English, I know it's not perfect.