PDA

View Full Version : Modelling Existing Walls & Phases

nigel.49183
2010-06-10, 11:46 AM
Could anybody please help me with this problem?

Trying to model an existing building with an external wall comprising thick stone & internal lining to be removed & replaced with new internal lining of insulation/plasterboard.

I have experimented with modeling the existing stone wall & demo'd internal lining separately with the new lining as yet another independant wall, assigning all the correct phases & filters this looks/works OK...until you come to window & door openings!

This is were the internal finishes dont wrap around the stone wall correctly.

Can Revit (2011) do this? or any ideas how this could be achieved?
Thanks for your help...

Mike Sealander
2010-06-10, 12:06 PM
There are probably a couple ways to do this. I think you are getting stuck looking for an out-of-the-box, automated way for Revit to do something it is not set up to do OOTB. One option is to create the window and door returns as separate objects, and don't use the lining layer of the wall itself as the return. Then you have a straightforward way to demo the lining returns, albeit with a bit more effort in terms of modeling.
Another option might be to use wall closure ref planes in the window and door families to control the wall returns.
Point is, some things are easy OOTB, and others just require some manual effort.