PDA

View Full Version : Hardware recommendations?

Joshua Kohl
2010-06-10, 06:37 PM
We are looking into getting new machines and upgrading to a 64 bit operating system.

We currently run RAC 2011 and AutoCAD 2011.

Can anyone provide suggestions on processors, video cards, etc? Any issues you may have had with certain hardware configurations?

I understand Revit currently does not utilizes multi-core technology, is there any talk of that on the horizon?

I don't see where there is a list of Revit Certified Video Cards, would an AutoCAD certified card be sufficient to use?

Thanks in advance!!

eric.piotrowicz
2010-06-10, 07:26 PM
Althought currently Revit is not a true multi-thread program there have been some tasks which have been given mutli-thread capability. I think that Scott Davis had posted a complete list here a little while back that outlines all the multi-thread functionality.
I say no less than a 3Ghz quad core processor with 8GB of RAM and a 1GB graphics card from the approved list in this link.
http://www.autodesk.com/us/revit/revit_graphics_hardware_-_graphics_hardware_list_final.html

richard.binning
2010-06-11, 02:36 PM
Too bad that link doesn't work today. Same link as on Autodesk page...results in page not found. Anyone got a valid link?

Althought currently Revit is not a true multi-thread program there have been some tasks which have been given mutli-thread capability. I think that Scott Davis had posted a complete list here a little while back that outlines all the multi-thread functionality.
I say no less than a 3Ghz quad core processor with 8GB of RAM and a 1GB graphics card from the approved list in this link.
http://www.autodesk.com/us/revit/revit_graphics_hardware_-_graphics_hardware_list_final.html

eric.piotrowicz
2010-06-11, 02:44 PM
Strange, it worked yesterday when I posted it... I'll go see if I can find it again.

Ok thats just plain wrong.. Its gone from AutoDESK's website. I found it in my browser history and it comes up as a dead link. Hopefully this isn't something that they intentionally took down. Can anybody from the factory weigh in on this issue?

In the meantime here is a .pdf of the cached page.

richard.binning
2010-06-11, 02:53 PM
I have to install and test 2011 today. I guess I'll use the AutoCAD list (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/hc?siteID=123112&id=6711853&linkID=9240618&is_results=1&card_sel=1567-4318&manufac=4318&card=1038-4318&cert=0&d_stat=1&prod=AutoCAD-R18.1&os=1&os=512)for now...
I'm being pushed for a 2011 install against my SOP of waiting for the first new build release/webupdate/servicepack.

Here goes....

iru69
2010-06-11, 02:54 PM
Can anyone provide suggestions on processors, video cards, etc? Any issues you may have had with certain hardware configurations?

There's a Revit Hardware sub-forum with quite a bit of information to get you started... have you checked that out yet?

After reading some of the stickies, you'll generally get better advice if you're more specific about the kinds and sizes of projects you work on, and if you suggest some hardware you're looking at and the budget you had in mind, and ask for feedback on that.

Graphic Hardware List here (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=14984958&linkID=14984968).
Unfortunately, most of the cards on the list are getting long in the tooth and may not be available.

Edit: my link isn't working at the moment either (6/11/2010).

eric.piotrowicz
2010-06-11, 02:57 PM
Above I posted a .pdf of the cached link.

richard.binning
2010-06-11, 03:11 PM
above what?

eric.piotrowicz
2010-06-11, 03:24 PM
I added the .pdf to my previous post.

richard.binning
2010-06-11, 03:56 PM
Thanks Eric,

You threw me off, I sort differently so the latest post is always at the top of the page.

Thanks for posting the pdf...found what I need... now the question renews.

The AutoCAD Hardware list recommends a different driver than the Cached Revit list you posted. I support both applications. I'm going to upgrade to the Revit recommended version and see what it does to AutoCAD.

Let the fun begin.

eric.piotrowicz
2010-06-11, 04:00 PM
Good luck Richard, let us know how it goes. It would certainly be nice if both softwares from the same company recommended the same video cards. :lol:

iru69
2010-06-11, 04:23 PM
I know it seems like a subtle distinction, but the list does not recommend video cards. The list indicates which video cards and drivers have been tested and whether they are "supported" or not.

Yes, it's kind of nutty that AutoCAD and Revit might list different supported drivers for the same video card... hopefully one of the listed drivers works for both softwares.

It would certainly be nice if both softwares from the same company recommended the same video cards. :lol:

richard.binning
2010-06-11, 06:25 PM
Funny, I distinctly remember seeing the word recommended in the key...

http://forums.augi.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=74878&stc=1&d=1276280691

I know it seems like a subtle distinction, but the list does not recommend video cards. The list indicates which video cards and drivers have been tested and whether they are "supported" or not.

Yes, it's kind of nutty that AutoCAD and Revit might list different supported drivers for the same video card... hopefully one of the listed drivers works for both softwares.

iru69
2010-06-11, 06:43 PM
That's recommended drivers, not recommended video cards. They "recommend" that you use the drivers of supported video cards.

The only point being that I wouldn't recommend a video card on that list simply because it's on the list. Just because it "works" doesn't mean it's a good choice.

Funny, I distinctly remember seeing the word recommended in the key...

http://forums.augi.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=74878&stc=1&d=1276280691

Edit: I see how it could be construed that way from the "key", but this is also the same company that proceeds to list a bunch a driver numbers that have little relation to the driver packages listed on the nvidia and ATI websites and their listed system requirements for Revit are near incoherent nonsense (last time I checked).

richard.binning
2010-06-11, 08:49 PM
<snip>
... but this is also the same company that proceeds to list a bunch a driver numbers that have little relation to the driver packages listed on the nvidia and ATI websites and their listed system requirements for Revit are near incoherent nonsense (last time I checked). </snip>

They always get a FAIL on the system requirements. ...When is the last time you purchased a Pentium 4? :mrgreen:

DaveP
2010-06-11, 09:12 PM
The link just worked for me.
Kind of.

I was able to get to the page & it looks somewhat like it used to, but there so HTML code showing:
<!--[if supportMisalignedColumns]-->
(don't know if that'll make it through this post or not)

Also, none of the image are displaying. Little red Xs everywhere, so you can't see which box - Supported/Recommended/ Not recommended - is checked.

Then again, I got a new PC this week, so maybe my IE8 is messed up.

eric.piotrowicz
2010-06-14, 11:54 AM
Its showing up the same for me with all the red image not available x's and I've had IE8 for quite a while now. Maybe it was something broken on one of the factory servers and its been partially fixed. Hopefully they get it fully repaired.

DaveP
2010-06-14, 01:12 PM
Just for yuks, I tried in in Firefox this morning, and don't get any images there, either.

While I'm pasting in the url, I noticed the name of the page:

revit_graphics_hardware_-_graphics_hardware_list_final.html
Final ? I thought they said this was going to be frequently updated !