PDA

View Full Version : Importing CAD ver II

rsloyer
2010-06-10, 06:40 PM
I am importing 3D dwg files from my subcontractors into a Revit file. In this case the Revit file is architectural systems and concrete structural systems. The model I am importing is steel.

In the various views of Revit (plan, section, etc.) I see the full depth of the steel system regardless of the view. So if I take a section cut through the center of the building and go to that section view I see all of the steel regardless of the location of the steel or the depth of the view box.

Any way to get the steel to view the way the Revit model does?

mbeham
2010-06-10, 08:05 PM
import the dwg into an In - Place family.

rsloyer
2010-06-10, 08:09 PM
import the dwg into an In - Place family.

Can you elaborate on that? I'm not sure how I'd go about doing it.

mbeham
2010-06-10, 08:12 PM
In Revit go to Component>Model In Place. Once in the In-Place Family, Import the Cad file into that family. I recommend doing this in its own discipline file not in the architectural file. Finish the family and when you cut it in section it will cut like it should. This works the same way for sketchup files too.

See the following post:
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=113485&referrerid=152361

Good Luck.

rsloyer
2010-06-10, 08:35 PM
OK, did all that. Put the steel files in the "Structural Framing" Family Category and named them "Structural Steel" and "Structural Joists". Once they are done loading I get the "none of your elements are visible" popup box in the bottom right. I go to Visibility Graphics and "Structural Framing" is checked, so shouldn't they be showing up?

mbeham
2010-06-10, 09:05 PM
Try putting it onto the Generic model category. I know that category works not sure if putting it on framing would work.

rsloyer
2010-06-11, 08:20 PM
Says I need to use autocad to convert to polymesh?

rsloyer
2010-07-02, 03:17 PM
Finally got all this to work as needed at the time. Follow up question.

The ductwork model I imported shows up in the building sections like I needed it to, but doesn't show up in the RCP. I'd love to be able to see the grills in their correct locations.