PDA

View Full Version : Roof vs Floor

stephanschneller
2010-06-14, 11:00 AM
Hi,

I'm working on a project where I need to attach beams/ beam systems to the underside of a roof in order to make them dependent on the roof slope.

Im just wondering which is the better approach to create the roof as a 'roof' or 'floor' element as it is quite a complicated roof with many different slopes.

Roofs can be easily defined using a slope arrows whereas with floors I can specify heights at specifics points which could create a similar result.

At the moment Im tempted to go with the floor tool which seems to have a few more options.

Has anyone a opinion on this?

Regards,

Stephan

jeffh
2010-06-14, 12:52 PM
with floors I can specify heights at specifics points which could create a similar result.

You can use shape editing tools on a roof object just like a floor. If the object you are modeling is a roof model it as a roof. If it is a floor model it as a floor.

Andre Carvalho
2010-06-14, 01:06 PM
I like modeling the structural part of the roof as a floor. Roofs can't be copy/monitored if your structural engineer is using this tool.

Andre Carvalho

Scott Womack
2010-06-14, 04:20 PM
I like modeling the structural part of the roof as a floor. Roofs can't be copy/monitored if your structural engineer is using this tool.

Andre Carvalho

As an amplification to Andre's comment.

I model the roof deck as a floor, and the remaining materials above the "deck" as a true roof. Thus the structural engineer gets something they can "copy/monitor", and I still get to use roof hosted elements such as HVAC units, roof drains, etc.

I do constrain both items to a reference plane, that forms the boundary between the two.

TheViking
2010-06-15, 01:23 AM
Check out this procedure to have the roof or floor drive the framing..

http://revitclinic.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/06/using-beam-startend-attachments-to-drive-framing-by-shape-edited-slabs-and-roofs.html

Erik

jdpeakplatinum
2010-07-07, 02:39 PM
As an amplification to Andre's comment.

I model the roof deck as a floor, and the remaining materials above the "deck" as a true roof. Thus the structural engineer gets something they can "copy/monitor", and I still get to use roof hosted elements such as HVAC units, roof drains, etc.

I do constrain both items to a reference plane, that forms the boundary between the two.

Scott, I've got a similar issue in my model. I've got a fairly simple, single slope roof which I cannot get to behave properly. I like your reasoning to keep the structural floor and architectural roof separate, and I'd like to have both attached to a reference plane. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to constrain the floor or roof to a reference plane. Could you explain this process?
Thanks in advance,
-josh

Scott Womack
2010-07-07, 05:19 PM
I guess I misspoke, I could have sworn I had been able to do this in the past. 2011 will not let me now. I gues what Id do is draw either the roof or the floor (deck) get to slope where I wanted it, using a slope arrow, or adjusting the four corners. Then use that data to modify the other object. Sorry.

Valkin
2010-07-08, 04:22 AM
For the most part Roofs and Floors are the same there are only suttle differences. Such as what is hosted to them and the fact that Floors allow you to have a structutal layer where you can see the decking when you cut the section. But for slopes anything you can do to a floor you can do to a roof and vise versa.

Scott Womack
2010-07-08, 02:42 PM
Mathew is correct except for one major item. A flor is defined from a level downwards, while a roof is defined from the bottom up.

jdpeakplatinum
2010-07-08, 04:05 PM
I guess I misspoke, I could have sworn I had been able to do this in the past. 2011 will not let me now. I gues what Id do is draw either the roof or the floor (deck) get to slope where I wanted it, using a slope arrow, or adjusting the four corners. Then use that data to modify the other object. Sorry.

Well, I'm working in 2010 but also could not get the floor (or roof) to align to a reference plane, as you say. I was, however, able to set the slope and height of the structural floor (with some basic trig). Once I did this, I was able to align and lock a reference plane to the top and/or bottom. Now I am able to constrain other entities as I'd envisioned and have them adjust with the floor depth, but still not the slope. It'll work for my purposes at the moment. I was just trying to do this in the wrong order.
Thanks,
-josh