PDA

View Full Version : creating Key Plans

J-G
2003-09-27, 05:38 PM
What is the best way to go about creating a key plan? I created a plan view and set the display the way I wanted, then I dropped it onto my first sheet. That worked great until I tried dropping it onto another sheet...which of course Revit won't allow becasue it is already refferenced on one sheet.

Thanks for the help

aggockel50321
2003-09-27, 07:19 PM
One method:

Do what you described above, but rather than using that view as the key plan, export the view out as an image (jpg or bmp), go to your sheet view, & import the image onto your sheet, use the corner grips or properties dialog to set the size. You can then cut & paste that image on to other sheets. Do this for as many keplan configurations you have.

J-G
2003-09-28, 12:26 AM
That is an interesting solution that I would have never thought of - thank you. I was hoping to keep everything linked, but as I am finding some things we just wait for. I have to remind myself that if I was still using ADT or Acad nothing would be linked.

Phil Read
2003-09-28, 01:32 AM
Jon -

Since the footprint represented in the keyplan will likely change I'll forward another suggestion.

Create a view in Revit - maybe called "Key Plan". Make certain the visibility settings are as desired - then export this to DWG. Put it where you'll know where to find it later (more on that in a moment).

While you're in a Sheet view link this DWG. Since the sheets are actual size - you'll want use a custom scale to really scale down the linked file appropriately. Otherwise the linked file will be relatively large.

Once you've linked a single instance - and the scale is correct - you can copy/paste this linked file to any other sheets that need to have this same keyplan (no need to keep re-linking the same file).

As the floor plan changes - export the same "Key Plan" DWG file and overwrite the previous instance. Then File>Manage Links>Reload the file.

The linked DWG (as well as all the copied/pasted instances) will update.

HTH -

Phil Read
Autodesk Revit

beegee
2003-09-28, 07:38 AM
Nice one Phil !

Of course, if you don't have a large number of sheets to deal with, it doesn't take long to set up duplicate views, with different names, and drop one onto each sheet. Tends to clog up the project browser a bit though.

J-G
2003-09-29, 06:17 PM
Thanks Phil - that will work.

Wes Macaulay
2003-09-29, 07:47 PM
Ah Phil... as usual, you're my hero. I had wondered about this once some time ago... then I got hungry. Not that Revit tips are much farther down my Maslonian hierarchy of needs than food.

bclarch
2003-09-29, 08:04 PM
Phil,
Don't get me wrong, I love Revit, but there seem to be a lot of workarounds that involve exporting to DWG and then re-importing the drawing. Is there any hope that the coming release will allow for more flexible drawing references and view duplication inside of the program itself?

Phil Read
2003-09-29, 08:49 PM
Agreed this is a bit of a workaround - yet it's predictable/manageable/efficent.

I can't talk about what future releases may hold. If I do I'll soon be looking for a new job (which would involve a new round of making first impressions) which would mean growing my hair back.

And that would mean not being able to pester development for 1) Complex Blends and 2) Revit on OS X (any day - right David?).

Phil Read
Autodesk Revit.

David Conant
2003-09-29, 09:42 PM
We count on Phil to lead the way. :wink:
We do hear your needs here. If there were an unlimited number of developers and time, we would give you everything you want in every release. (maybe even OS XXVII) Reality is just as harsh here in software as it is in design an building. Even if we wanted to throw our entire development team at a small subset of issues, we are limited. We have to look carefully at what each person can do. We can no more put every person on upgrading views and sheets than you can take the interiors department and have them all switch to doing curtain wall flashing details. Be assured that the issues brought up here are listened to and discussed (sometimes in excruciating detail)
We try to make the best possible use of our actual resources to deliver the highest possible amount of usability in any release. Inevitably, that means some items (perhaps your favorites) are deferred in favor of even more important ones (some other people's favorites).

Steve_Stafford
2003-09-29, 10:34 PM
Okay...I'm good with that as long as it's not my wishes that get cut :wink: :D

Cyril Verley
2003-09-30, 11:20 AM
Phil... It's great to hear from you... I hope all is well... Cool idea about the key plan... I have another thought as well...

Whenever I imagine a key plan, I always think of partially hatched plans. Using area analysis gives you a plan where you can control the hatch. It also allows you to create many plans without those plans cluttering your "plan" lists in the project browser. Instead, the key plans are listed in the area analysis area of the project browser...
This also keeps all the content within Revit...

gregcashen
2003-09-30, 02:27 PM
We count on Phil to lead the way. :wink:
We do hear your needs here. If there were an unlimited number of developers and time, we would give you everything you want in every release. (maybe even OS XXVII) Reality is just as harsh here in software as it is in design an building. Even if we wanted to throw our entire development team at a small subset of issues, we are limited. We have to look carefully at what each person can do. We can no more put every person on upgrading views and sheets than you can take the interiors department and have them all switch to doing curtain wall flashing details. Be assured that the issues brought up here are listened to and discussed (sometimes in excruciating detail)
We try to make the best possible use of our actual resources to deliver the highest possible amount of usability in any release. Inevitably, that means some items (perhaps your favorites) are deferred in favor of even more important ones (some other people's favorites).

So you're saying that Revit 6.0 may not be the final, fully-developed, bug-free version of Revit? :cry:

David Conant
2003-09-30, 02:43 PM
No sooner than an architect can issue a complete and totally error/change order free drawing set for a 12 floor building project.
Software like Revit involves many complex, interacting systems. It is difficult or impossible to test all possible actions to uncover possible errors. Combine this with a highly varied customer base and a wide range of uses and we will never be able to achieve that theoretical nirvana. In both cases repeat to yourself (quietly) "job security" :D