PDA

View Full Version : sloping top chord roof

cr_gixxer
2010-06-14, 06:10 PM
I am trying to model a roof structure, and can't figure out how to go about it.

I am trying to model an open web wood truss with a sloped top chord only.

the roof construction is epdm, wood sheathing, open web wood truss with bibs insulation, vapor barrier, gypsum ceiling.

I've tried modfying the sub elements and dropping the elevation points in the middle of the roof, but this pitches both the top and bottom face of the roof.

Would it be simpler to have to roofs layer together (a pitched roof over a flat roof, or just mass it out and sketch detail over top where I need it/

patricks
2010-06-14, 06:14 PM
I am trying to model a roof structure, and can't figure out how to go about it.

I am trying to model an open web wood truss with a sloped top chord only.

the roof construction is epdm, wood sheathing, open web wood truss with bibs insulation, vapor barrier, gypsum ceiling.

I've tried modfying the sub elements and dropping the elevation points in the middle of the roof, but this pitches both the top and bottom face of the roof.

Would it be simpler to have to roofs layer together (a pitched roof over a flat roof, or just mass it out and sketch detail over top where I need it/

I would not model the roof trusses as part of the roof element. Make the roof be everything above the trusses, and then model the trusses, or at least block out the area in your section views and call it "Truss Space" (we do this sometimes since we don't design the trusses, and neither does our structural engineer). Then do a separate ceiling element for the sheetrock ceiling.

cr_gixxer
2010-06-14, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I tried that, and it looks like it'll work. I copied, split, and modified my existing flat roof, to be two separate types, one with just the deck and membrane, and the other just the gypsum. I grouped them together, and will use a filled region in the section views.

patricks
2010-06-14, 09:16 PM
Why not use a ceiling type for your interior finish? That way lights will host to it.