PDA

View Full Version : Step by Step Visibility. Is it possible?

rtaube
2010-06-16, 12:54 PM
I'm writing a quick tutorial for my workmates about the components of a builidng. I'd like to create a step by step process showing the foundation, foundation wall, floor, wall, 2nd floor, wall, roof.

Ideally, I'd like to have multiple 3D views sequentially showing each additional part. I've tried playing around with the View Templates, but it doesn't seem to affect the visibility of elements. I could copy each 3D view and control the visibility of each element and just unhide the elements as I progress, but then I would lose the ability to match the view angle with the previous (because I would have to rotate the view to select the elements)

Any ideas for how i could make this work? I'm open to workarounds if necessary :)

cliff collins
2010-06-16, 12:56 PM
I'm not sure if this answers the question, but you might find this very helpful:

http://revit-detail.blogspot.com/

cheers

twiceroadsfool
2010-06-16, 01:16 PM
Use Section boxes, and the view cube to Orient the multiple views to the particular plans, and then snap them to an axon corner using the view cube again. Then (if its workshared), go check out the view worksets and dont relinquish. Then you dont have to worry about them moving, LOL.

DaveP
2010-06-16, 02:52 PM
Once you have one 3D View set up the way you want it, right-click on the View Cube and pick Save as Home. There is only one "Home" for all 3D Views, so you can flip each individual view round as you're working on it, and then click on the little house icon near the View Cube. That will restore the Home angle & all Views will be the same. :beer:

STHRevit
2010-06-16, 04:30 PM
I'm writing a quick tutorial for my workmates about the components of a builidng. I'd like to create a step by step process showing the foundation, foundation wall, floor, wall, 2nd floor, wall, roof.

Ideally, I'd like to have multiple 3D views sequentially showing each additional part. I've tried playing around with the View Templates, but it doesn't seem to affect the visibility of elements. I could copy each 3D view and control the visibility of each element and just unhide the elements as I progress, but then I would lose the ability to match the view angle with the previous (because I would have to rotate the view to select the elements)

Any ideas for how i could make this work? I'm open to workarounds if necessary :)

This can be done with phases. You will have to have a new phase for each building component. The thing to remember with phases is that the work you are doing in your current phase is considered new, regardless of the stage in the project.
Example, say you are modelling an existing building. You have a phase for existing work. When you model your existing building on your existing phase, Revit will class this as new work.
Try something like this.
View = Phase 1. Model your foundation.
Phase filter = show new
Duplicate view
View = Phase 2. Model your foundation wall.
Phase filter = show previous & new (view should show foundation and foundation wall)
Dulicate view.
View = Phase 3. Model your floor
Phase filter = show previous and new ( view should show all 3 elements)

Keep repeating untill you have all of your elements modelled on their own phase.

I am not at my computer right now, but it should be something along these lines.
Phase filter = show previous & new
, in this phase.

Phil Read
2010-06-16, 07:22 PM
Don't use phases. I'll break stuff. Create user defined instance parameters and view filters and assign the parameter to geometry. Then filter the views accordingly. Very flexible.
Phil

cliff collins
2010-06-16, 07:42 PM
Phil,

Spot on method. But please don't break stuff!

cheers

STHRevit
2010-06-17, 12:53 AM
Don't use phases. I'll break stuff. Create user defined instance parameters and view filters and assign the parameter to geometry. Then filter the views accordingly. Very flexible.
Phil

Yep, another good option.
As it is only a demo and not the entire building I saw it as a good opportunity to interact with phasing.

To each his/her own I.