PDA

View Full Version : Handrail / Guardrail

dzatto
2010-06-16, 04:48 PM
I'm having trouble creating this handrail. I have the stairs done, as well as the guardrail around the top. The problem is, I need my handrail to extend the full length of the stairs, which I could probably do with a separate handrail possible.

The real issue is the guardrails that run parallel to the stair slope stop at the bottom of the floor. See the attached picture.

How would I do that with a rail assembly? Is that even possible?

dzatto
2010-06-16, 08:13 PM
Wow, I finally stumped you guys! :lol:

cliff collins
2010-06-16, 08:25 PM
Well, not so fast.

Check THIS out:

http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=class&session_id=5380

cheers

dzatto
2010-06-16, 08:32 PM
Well, not so fast.

Check THIS out:

http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=class&session_id=5380

cheers
sigh..........yes sir.

dzatto
2010-06-16, 09:45 PM
Okay, my brain is now fried!

Just when you thought Revit was hard enough, someone goes and tells you that you can do things without using OOTB tools. lol

twiceroadsfool
2010-06-16, 11:01 PM
I didnt have time earlier to see what the real issue with it was, but it should be pretty straightforward. End the rail sketch where the majority of the rails terminate, and then the top most rail and the extension is part of an End-Baluster family.

Thats how all of our ADA loops are done as well.

dzatto
2010-06-24, 01:53 PM
I didnt have time earlier to see what the real issue with it was, but it should be pretty straightforward. End the rail sketch where the majority of the rails terminate, and then the top most rail and the extension is part of an End-Baluster family.

Thats how all of our ADA loops are done as well.
I see baluter families, but where is the end baluster family? Or do you use the baluster one?? I'm lost. lol

patricks
2010-06-24, 02:27 PM
That is a toughie - the horizontal rails on the stairs all terminate at the bottom edge of the floor at the top of the stairs, except for the handrail itself.

I would definitely do the hand rail as a separate rail.

Doing a Valvoline Oil Change place perhaps? Nah their colors are blue, not red :lol:

Are you modeling an existing building or making a new one based on an existing?

*edit* had a similar situation on a building with a stair going up to a roof hatch. The stair rails terminated at the bottom of the roof deck. I only had a single view showing that condition (a section thru the stairs), so I just stopped my rail sketch so the top rail was at the bottom of the roof deck, and drew a masking region for the rest of the rail running along the bottom of the roof deck back to the steel stair stringer.

Yes it's "cheating" but I was not showing it in 3D anywhere, and it got the job done. It would not have been worth my time trying to model that one-off condition.

dzatto
2010-06-24, 02:35 PM
That is a toughie - the horizontal rails on the stairs all terminate at the bottom edge of the floor at the top of the stairs, except for the handrail itself.

I would definitely do the hand rail as a separate rail.

Doing a Valvoline Oil Change place perhaps? Nah their colors are blue, not red :lol:

Are you modeling an existing building or making a new one based on an existing?
I'm creating a base set of plans for a lube center (Kwik Kar Lube & Tune). I have full sets in ACA, but I'm switching it all to Revit. Modeling it first, then setting up views and sheets later. Hopefully I can figure it out. lol

you're in MS near Memphis? We have a location up there in Southaven. We built it about 10 years ago.

patricks
2010-06-24, 02:48 PM
yea I live in the S'haven... do my own oil changes though hah :p

Office used to be there too but we moved south to Hernando a couple years ago into a building we renovated and attained LEED Gold status.