PDA

View Full Version : Door Frame Throat reporting parameter in 2011

wblaney
2010-06-17, 03:41 PM
Has anyone successfully incorporated a new reporting parameter into their door families in Revit 2011 to schedule the throat width of the frame? The Revit help file lists this a "good example" of what one can do with the function, but it fails completely to describe how to get it to work and no OOB family has it done so I have no example to work from.

So far, I've assumed that it needs to be a shared parameter to schedule, and it ought to be an instance parameter so the same door type can be used in walls of varying thicknesses. I can get the schedules to show the reported parameter, but it doesn't change when the door is placed in partitions of varying thicknesses.

I've tried tying the witness lines to the faces of the generic wall, and to the parts of the frame itself (in the door family). It still only return the width of the generic wall shown in the family editor, ignoring the actual width of the instance in my real model.

Any guidance or examples forum readers could provide would be appreciated!

Wes

cliff collins
2010-06-17, 04:06 PM
Try locking ref. planes at the faces of the wall in the door family, and corresponding dimensions tied to the reporting parameter (dim. to the ref. planes, not the door geometry.)

Then when loaded into project, via shared parameters, the changes in thickness
of walls in each instance should appear in the schedule.

give it a try and report your findings.

cheers

twiceroadsfool
2010-06-17, 04:13 PM
Reporting parameters HAVE to be instance parameters, and yes... It must be shared.

We have one in our new doors and they work great. :)

wblaney
2010-06-18, 06:26 PM
Got it - just had to overwrite the parameters when loading the family back into the original revit file.