PDA

View Full Version : Construction simulation with revit?

cadmaster77
2010-06-17, 05:26 PM
while looking at revit 2011 tutorials on youtube.. i came across some pretty cool videos on construction simulation (see link below for example).. if i can remember correctly, this cant be done in revit.. it is imported into a different program than u will have the capability to do construction simulation.. is that correct? or this is possible to do in revit?.. if so, are there any tutorials or papers on this? something that can give a direction to go in to learn how to do it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpPb0mW3Hw0&feature=related

thanks for the help

cliff collins
2010-06-17, 06:05 PM
Take at look at these:

1. Navisworks

2. Building Explorer

3. Vico Office

All of these software packages can do "4D and 5D" visualization.

It CAN be done in Revit, but the workflow ends up being tedious and more of a workaround
solution vs the apps above which are purpose built just for the task.

cheers

Dimitri Harvalias
2010-06-17, 06:12 PM
I am guessing this was done in Navisworks or Vico.
The Revit model can be exported to a Navis format and in Navis the model elements can be assigned a task ID (probably from a MS Project or similar PM software). This task ID has a date associated with it. Using the Timeliner feature in Navis this sort of sequencing video can be produced.
Look into Navisworks, Vico Constructware (?)

m20roxxers
2010-06-18, 01:26 AM
If your looking for cost effective tool, I would look at Synchro. Personally I use Navis, PAL and 3DS. However if your looking for a simulation tool at a fraction of the cost of navis it works quite well.

I would also like to add, that true 4D sequencing doesn't look anything like that. They have just set the building model to construct the objects. There is no temporary, demolished objects, site logistics???. It's not really built to resources or the program. If your truly looking to do this effectively you need to look way beyond this not just as a pretty tool, but as a service for the construction and program team to RESOLVE issues with the current sequences, methodologies and resources on the project.

We have a small routine in Revit that actually builds activity numbers based on a few options (levels, categories, custom parameters) that then populate a Microsoft Project file. We pass this on the construction company or the program consultant in conjunction with models and documents. Helps them quite abit and allows us to maintain a direct link with Revit and Navis, which is mapped works quite well when everyone plays together which is not always the case :)

twiceroadsfool
2010-06-18, 01:38 AM
Synchro is fantastic for this. I really like the way it works, and its feature set.

cadmaster77
2010-06-18, 02:06 AM
Synchro.. i looked that up.. it looked like traffic software.. is that correct?

twiceroadsfool
2010-06-18, 02:37 AM
Whoops. The OTHER Synchro. :)

http://www.synchroltd.com/