PDA

View Full Version : Simple Wall and Beam Join

rtaube
2010-06-20, 03:51 AM
I have a simple wall (brick on CMU) that runs up to a concrete beam. I'd like the brick to continue running to the top of the beam, but the CMU to stop at the bottom. I was told that by Joining the two, the beam would cut out the wall like i want, however it seems that the wall has taken priority and cut the beam. I've attached a very simple file with two walls and two beams in section view. The one on the left is before the Join, the one on the right is after the Join.

The only solutions i've found so far is to fake it with masking regions and linework.
I'm using Revit 2009.

Any tips? (besides upgrading :)

Cheers,
Ryan

rtaube
2010-06-20, 04:16 AM
for some reason, however, it does just fine with when it joins with floors in a similar condition. I've reattached the same file to show.

Merlin
2010-06-20, 10:53 AM
Hi,
OK, I think what you need to do is to have the different elements of your wall, finishing at different heights? No problem. You need to edit the Structure of your wall type. Revit recognises different parts of walls often need to finish (and start) at different levels.
Try this:

1. Select your wall type (You call it "Wall D2" ?) and select "Edit Type" in your Properties dialogue window. The Type Properties windows comes up.

2. Where it says "Structure", you select "Edit". The "Edit Assembly" window comes up. Make sure the"Preview" is activated and set the view to "Section"

3. Select "Modify" under the "Modify Vertical Structure" portion of the window.

4. Back in the Preview Window, zoom into the top of the wall. When you bring your cursor over the top line of the wall, Revit will highlight lines that make the top of the wall.

5. Select the top horizontal line of the CMU portion of your wall you will see a "Locked" symbol appear. Click this symbol so it becomes unlocked. Note! You will need to do this for the top of your Plaster and Lathe portion of your wall also.

6. Apply and OK your way back onto the model. and when you select the wall under the beam, look at the Properties dialogue window. You will see now, under "Constraints" an activated parameter of "Top Extension Distance". In this you enter the distance the CMU and Plaster portions of the wall will be below the rest of the wall height...I think you will be entering negative 2' in this case.

7. Sit back and admire your handiwork :-)

HTH
John Mc

rtaube
2010-06-20, 07:27 PM
That works great, John, thanks. So for vertical columns do i need to create a separate wall type that doesn't have the CMU and interior plaster/lathe and then align it with the exterior of the adjacent wall?

Merlin
2010-06-21, 01:12 AM
That works great, John, thanks. So for vertical columns do i need to create a separate wall type that doesn't have the CMU and interior plaster/lathe and then align it with the exterior of the adjacent wall?

Ummm...not sure I understand your query. Are you refering to a plaster cladding that would wrap around a column that sits in the wall? i.e. the wall frames/CMU's butt up to either sides of the column?

The one thing I would counsel, is to think in terms of what would actually be built. The Revit mantra is "Model it as you would build it". So making a wall instead of a column, while being a "workaround" for some issues, should be only a last resort.

Let me know what you actually mean with it. :-)

John mc

rtaube
2010-06-21, 03:05 AM
Apologies for not explaining it better, I've attached a file to show what I mean. It's basically the same as before. I would like portions of the wall to stop when they meet the structure. For beams and floors it is pretty easy using your technique. but if that beam is sitting on a concrete column, the CMU, for example, would stop at the column, while the exterior materials would wrap in front of it. Please see attached file, i think it explains it better than I can with words.

Cheers, and thanks for the help.

Ryan

Merlin
2010-06-21, 01:07 PM
Ah!...OK...well, the same mantra applies!

1. You make another wall type exactly the same but without the CMU and interior plaster layers.

2. You then split your walls at both sides of the columns. (Using the "delete inner segment" when you Split)

3. You then draw the new wall across the face of your columns.

When you think of it, that's what they would be building on site.

HTH
John Mc

rtaube
2010-06-22, 02:39 AM
Perfect, thanks for your help!