PDA

View Full Version : Door and Window Types

tampac66
2010-06-21, 04:39 PM
I want to make 2d elevations of all of the door and window types in this project with dimensions on them.

Is there anyway to do this besides making tons of elevations and cropping them?

cliff collins
2010-06-21, 04:48 PM
Use Legends Views. Look in Revit help.

cheers

Dave Jones
2010-06-21, 05:46 PM
Use Legends Views. Look in Revit help.

cheers

learning here. Wouldn't Duplicate Views as Dependent be more appropriate for the OP? Looking in Help it seems Legend Views are more for sections of building components.

Alfredo Medina
2010-06-21, 06:39 PM
learning here. Wouldn't Duplicate Views as Dependent be more appropriate for the OP? Looking in Help it seems Legend Views are more for sections of building components.

It depends. Legends are good to showing windows and door types elevations. Then you add some dimensions and notes, then you drag the whole legend to a sheet next to where the door schedule or window schedule is. Legends have a limitation, though, in that you cannot place section references or callouts. So if you do need those elements, then you need to use regular elevations from the model, instead.

cliff collins
2010-06-21, 06:40 PM
Legend Views for doors and windows have an elevation option as well. Most Family Types automatically generate a Legend View for this purpose. Curtainwalls and storefronts unfortunately do not--but this is on the Wishlist.

They are good for depicting doors/frames/window types as a 2D representation only.

They are a bit limited in their function--i.e. dimensioning, snapping etc.
but are intended for typical Door and Frame Type views in Construction Documents.
There is some justified dissaistfaction with Legend Views ( as there are with many other neglected things like site tools, railings, stairs,etc.) but they still have value.

Using duplicated views can work, but adds a certain amount of complexity and data management to the project which may not be the best practice.

cheers

iru69
2010-06-21, 08:36 PM
If you can get "Legends" to work, that's obviously the best method. However, they have so many shortcomings that we never use them for windows or doors, etc.

We use the "future/past phase" work-around (I always use the "past phase")... there are a number of threads that make mention of it... here's one:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=86114

Alex Page
2010-06-21, 08:51 PM
If you can get "Legends" to work, that's obviously the best method. However, they have so many shortcomings that we never use them for windows or doors, etc.

We use the "future/past phase" work-around (I always use the "past phase")... there are a number of threads that make mention of it... here's one:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=86114

Same as above since you cant tag in legends - this is an example of what we produce using above method (the descriptions are tags):