PDA

View Full Version : Revit 2011 Update 1 now available

brett05
2010-06-22, 04:36 AM
I was just doing another install in the office here and noticed that the first update for 2011 is available.

iankids
2010-06-22, 04:49 AM
Lucky you if you snaffled it!

When I logged on to the subscription center it was still the April 15 release.

Be good if it is to be released soon.

Ian

Munkholm
2010-06-22, 06:23 AM
Ian.

Steve have the links for the updates linked in this post: http://revitoped.blogspot.com/2010/06/web-update-for-revit-2011-posted.html

vennix.239720
2010-06-22, 07:44 AM
Good morning.
It showed uo here this morning clicking the satelite dish at the top right of the program.
Did not tell me what it fixed though.

Geert.

iankids
2010-06-22, 10:19 AM
Ian.

Steve have the links for the updates linked in this post: http://revitoped.blogspot.com/2010/06/web-update-for-revit-2011-posted.html

Thanks Munkholm (&Steve),

downloading as I type.

Hopefully it sort out a few of the bugs.

Ian

mbalsom
2010-06-22, 10:22 AM
OK installed update and does anyone know whats fixed ?
Release notes ???

barrie.sharp
2010-06-22, 01:21 PM
I know what it hasn't fixed! Would like to know what did get fixed :?:

kyle.bernhardt
2010-06-22, 03:26 PM
AUGIers,
We are indeed pushing out Update Release 1 (UR1) for Revit 2011 products today.

We've pushed it out through our LiveUpdate system, which shows up in Communication Center in-product. We're working to roll it out to the download page (http://www.autodesk.com/revitarchitecture-download), which serves as the central location for the update file and Enhancements List...should be updated later today.

In the interim, I've attached the Enhancements list to this thread.

So that we don't fragment the conversation on this topic, Scott Latch will be posting an official announcement thread later today, and we ask that you pose other questions you might have there.

Cheers,
Kyle B

Doug
2010-06-22, 06:16 PM
I just read the instructions -

Insert the original product CD or make sure that the installation files are available to you computer.
Choose an update button to download the updateI didn't receive the "orginal product CD" how am I going to get the upgrade with out it?

DaveP
2010-06-22, 06:40 PM
I just read the instructions -
I didn't receive the "orginal product CD" how am I going to get the upgrade with out it?

Read the rest of the instructions:
http://updatesdl.autodesk.com/updates/files/autodesk_revit_architecture_2011_update_1_readme.htm
- especially the "before you begin" part. ;)

dzatto
2010-06-22, 08:05 PM
There were instructions? :shock:

patricks
2010-06-22, 09:15 PM
So they're UR's now? Sheesh can't y'all settle on a consistent update/patch naming system? :p

Kinda like the program installation folder location under C:\Program Files. In some releases it's been under "Revit Architecture", sometimes it's "Autodesk Revit Architecture", and for 2011 it's "\Autodesk\Revit Architecture 2011". Make up ya minds already! :lol:

iru69
2010-06-23, 12:53 AM
In the posted sticky, Scott Latch is still referring to it as a "Web Update", as in "Web Update 1". The readme text file is named "Service Pack Readme", while the accompanying documentation seems to be leaving it at "Update 1".

I'm not going to make a mountain out of a molehill when there are so many other far more pressing issues, but this kind of stuff is confusing to the average user... and it would be so simple to just pick a term and stick to it.

So they're UR's now? Sheesh can't y'all settle on a consistent update/patch naming system? :p

twiceroadsfool
2010-06-23, 01:13 AM

Kinda like the program installation folder location under C:\Program Files. In some releases it's been under "Revit Architecture", sometimes it's "Autodesk Revit Architecture", and for 2011 it's "\Autodesk\Revit Architecture 2011". Make up ya minds already! :lol:

Yeah, and its brutal when you have to update and move things from year to year, and theyre all in different places, LOL.

iru69
2010-06-23, 02:45 AM
Whatever it's named, I'll add that it was one of the smoothest updates ever - kudos to the Factory on that count. Installed on my machine in about 30 seconds.

Couldn't help but notice that in the Revit "About" menu, it's listed as:
"Web Update 1 Service Pack" :roll:

Andrew Dobson
2010-06-23, 07:55 AM
AUGIers,
We are indeed pushing out Update Release 1 (UR1) for Revit 2011 products today.

We've pushed it out through our LiveUpdate system, which shows up in Communication Center in-product. We're working to roll it out to the download page (http://www.autodesk.com/revitarchitecture-download), which serves as the central location for the update file and Enhancements List...should be updated later today.

In the interim, I've attached the Enhancements list to this thread.

So that we don't fragment the conversation on this topic, Scott Latch will be posting an official announcement thread later today, and we ask that you pose other questions you might have there.

Cheers,
Kyle B

Kyle,

With regards to the updated list of graphics drivers, how do we actually get hold of these specific versions? Looking on nvidia's website, I can either get the latest versions, or AutoCAD certified ones, and nothing for Revit.

Are there any plans to get the Quadro FX370M on the list? We bought Dell Precision M2400s specifically for Revit but unfortunately, my card isn't on the list :(

Thanks

patricks
2010-06-23, 01:00 PM
Kyle,

With regards to the updated list of graphics drivers, how do we actually get hold of these specific versions? Looking on nvidia's website, I can either get the latest versions, or AutoCAD certified ones, and nothing for Revit.

Are there any plans to get the Quadro FX370M on the list? We bought Dell Precision M2400s specifically for Revit but unfortunately, my card isn't on the list :(

Thanks

I just downloaded the 197.03 driver yesterday that's listed in that ADSK document for Revit. On the nVIDIA page, click the upper left button to Download Drivers, and I believe the 2nd option is for Legacy and Archived drivers or something like that.

dzatto
2010-06-23, 01:13 PM
I tried to download it yesterday, but it kept saying 29 hours left! :shock:

I guess there was a lot of traffic on the site. Downloading it now. It's under "beta and archived drivers".

Andrew Dobson
2010-06-23, 01:26 PM
I just downloaded the 197.03 driver yesterday that's listed in that ADSK document for Revit. On the nVIDIA page, click the upper left button to Download Drivers, and I believe the 2nd option is for Legacy and Archived drivers or something like that.

I'm after version 188.78 for Quadro mobile chipsets which unfortunately isnt listed on the archive pages.

brethomp
2010-06-23, 02:53 PM
You can download most of the recommended drivers directly from Autodesk here (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/hc?siteID=123112&id=6711853&linkID=9240618). It's an AutoCAD page but you can at least find the driver versions that Autodesk recommends. The little blue arrows will let you download the drivers.

iru69
2010-06-23, 03:45 PM
That's very cool! Why doesn't the Revit version of the list work like that? :roll:

Unfortunately, the AutoCAD and Revit lists often have differing driver versions indicated. To make things even more confusing, Autodesk goes against the grain and doesn't list the driver package version numbers. Why make things easy when you can make things even more complicated?

You can download all of the recommended drivers directly from Autodesk here (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/hc?siteID=123112&id=6711853&linkID=9240618). It is an AutoCAD page but you can at least find the driver versions that Autodesk recommends. The little green arrows will let you download the drivers.

patricks
2010-06-23, 04:14 PM
The last 5 digits of the nVIDIA driver is the driver version package. So 8.16.11.8878 is version package 188.78 that you would see on the nVIDIA website. I know it's crazy, but that's just how they do it.

Also it appears that only drivers with little blue arrows beside them allow you to download that driver on the AutoCAD driver page linked a few posts back.

We also have a Dell laptop in the office with the 3600M card. I ended up downloading the 195.62 driver for nVIDIA mobile cards. I e-mailed Autodesk about it and this is what I heard back:

Version 8.16.0011.8878 of the driver is for HP 8510w, 8530w, 8710w and 8730w laptops.

Currently Autodesk is only performing limited verification of Mobile cards. Mobile video cards and drivers are likely to be modified by the system vendors to work most efficiently with their systems. Revit is not able to recognize all modified versions of cards and drivers.

You are probably ok with version 195.62.

iru69
2010-06-23, 04:29 PM
Yeah, it's crazy and stupid, and they need to stop doing it that way and start doing it using the package numbers like everyone else. And, that little "eliminate the first few numbers and move the decimal place" trick doesn't work for many of the ATI package numbers.

The last 5 digits of the nVIDIA driver is the driver version package. So 8.16.11.8878 is version package 188.78 that you would see on the nVIDIA website. I know it's crazy, but that's just how they do it.

If you "expand" the listing by clicking on the little "+" sign, you should see driver download links listed in the comments section of many of the listed drivers.

Also it appears that only drivers with little blue arrows beside them allow you to download that driver on the AutoCAD driver page linked a few posts back.

Andrew Dobson
2010-06-24, 07:44 AM
You can download most of the recommended drivers directly from Autodesk here (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/hc?siteID=123112&id=6711853&linkID=9240618). It's an AutoCAD page but you can at least find the driver versions that Autodesk recommends. The little blue arrows will let you download the drivers.

Thanks, but....

AutoCAD has a different certified driver version, 189.18 for mobile quadro chipsets.

Autodesk: How do I use one driver version for one Autodesk program, and another driver for a different one?

DoTheBIM
2010-06-25, 01:48 PM
As much as I and many others like to know what "improvements" or changes have been made... I find it a little difficult to understand what improves stability means in a one line description. And as an example it says "Improves Filter Rules".... That's nice, I could use some improvements in that area but HOW was is improved and will it help me?

DaveP
2010-06-25, 01:52 PM
Yeah, I was wondering about that "Improves Filters" myself.
As for the "Improves stability", I believe if you run that one through the Google Translator (from Corporate-Speak to English), it comes out as:
"It used to crash a lot and now it does crash nearly as much."

iru69
2010-06-25, 02:42 PM
I understand and appreciate the sentiment... but I think you may be asking a little much. I don't want the actual programmers who know these details spending their time explaining to the documentation team about every little change of code for the dozen users out there who are even interested. "Improves stability" means it's more stable... we don't need to know more. They fixed stuff. They listed the major issues they addressed.

Now, if they added a feature or changed the way a feature works, I would hope they would explain that.

As much as I and many others like to know what "improvements" or changes have been made... I find it a little difficult to understand what improves stability means in a one line description. And as an example it says "Improves Filter Rules".... That's nice, I could use some improvements in that area but HOW was is improved and will it help me?

DoTheBIM
2010-06-25, 04:29 PM
...spending their time explaining to the documentation team about every little change of code for the dozen users out there who are even interested.... Have you been drinking the Kool-aid lately? I think there are at least half a dozen more than a dozen that want to know how changes will affect them :mrgreen: j/k j/k Seriously though there's a middle ground to be achieved, I wasn't asking for every little detail. Middle ground unfortunately has many definitions but doesn't hurt to ask.

"Improves stability" means it's more stable... we don't need to know more. They fixed stuff. They..."Need" to know? maybe not... needed for what though? just for the sake of knowing what your getting into?... probably not... but that still might be a matter of opinion. Need to know for sake of making an informed decision about taking time to roll something out to 150 machines that doesn't impact any area that we need? An opinion of "need" might be different in such a situation. It's never as black and white as everyone wants it to be.:beer:

iru69
2010-06-25, 04:45 PM
Ha! No kool-aid for me... but I always try to be fair. How much documentation of bug fixes is reasonable for closed-source software? Are you putting them in a position of having to explain their explanations. There's more than enough information here to decide whether you should roll it out to 150 computers (you likely should - though it probably wouldn't hurt to wait a few days to see if any major issues crop up with it). Not trying to make it a black and white issue, but IMHO, it seems they have provided enough information for users to make an informed decision. Anything more than just seems to take away from higher priorities like actually fixing more bugs and developing features.

:beer: