PDA

View Full Version : link explanation

aaronhacker92223241
2010-06-22, 12:27 PM
need help with understanding revit links. im sure its something very simple but its just not clicking, anyone with a simple explanation? it would be very appreciated, thanks.

Elmo
2010-06-23, 12:04 PM
What is it that your not understanding exactly?

cliff collins
2010-06-23, 12:36 PM
If you have used AutoCad, and are familiar with X-refs, think of it like that, only
instead of a single drawing being "x-reffed", it's an entire Revit model being linked
into another Revit model.

A good example is a Site model, with a building model linked into it.

Read up on Shared Coordinates, Project Location, Survey Point, etc.
This is how Revit controls the location of linked models--sort of like Acad's
0,0,0 Origin.

Hope that helps.

cheers

aaronhacker92223241
2010-06-23, 12:41 PM
That makes sense, thank you.

patricks
2010-06-24, 02:23 PM
If you have used AutoCad, and are familiar with X-refs, think of it like that, only
instead of a single drawing being "x-reffed", it's an entire Revit model being linked
into another Revit model.

A good example is a Site model, with a building model linked into it.

Read up on Shared Coordinates, Project Location, Survey Point, etc.
This is how Revit controls the location of linked models--sort of like Acad's
0,0,0 Origin.

Hope that helps.

cheers

Speaking of this, do you know of any good Revit blogs or websites that go into detail on these things you just listed? I like doing separate site and building models, but I always seem to go through many painful exercises just to get them set up correctly.

cliff collins
2010-06-24, 03:12 PM
Patricks,

here is a pretty decent one:

http://designreform.net/2009/09/revit-2010-%e2%80%93-publishing-shared-coordinates-named-views-across-linked-files/

cheers

patricks
2010-06-24, 03:17 PM
Patricks,

here is a pretty decent one:

http://designreform.net/2009/09/revit-2010-%e2%80%93-publishing-shared-coordinates-named-views-across-linked-files/

cheers

my biggest issue is when I want to "start over" with the site file for whatever reason, and then the building file always says its coordinate system is already sync'd to the site file system, when it's clearly not (base and survey points are both in the same place and all set to 0 values in the building file, etc).

If I could make the building file "forget" whatever coordinate system it's been sync'd to previously, it would make things so much easier for me.