PDA

View Full Version : Controlling categories

houston.cad
2010-06-22, 01:45 PM
Hi, I have created a parametric family for a pre-cast concrete slab system. When I change the category to structural foundation the slabs automatically join when they are placed next to each other.
These are pre cast units and I don't want them to join into one big slab.
Is there some way to control this behavior?
What makes the slabs join when they are set to structural foundation cat and can categories be edited?

Thanks

arqt49
2010-06-22, 02:06 PM
Those issues are controled by the "Structural Material Type".
In the family, go to the "Family Category and parameters" button. It's the first parameter in the list.

houston.cad
2010-06-22, 02:17 PM
I have changed the type and it didn't make any difference. When the different slabs are placed together they still join into one continuous slab. It doesn't do it when the slabs are generic models but I would like to have my slabs in the correct category.

arqt49
2010-06-22, 03:48 PM
Are you joining pre-cast slabs?
I believe you shouldn't...

cporter.207875
2010-06-22, 04:26 PM
I have changed the type and it didn't make any difference. When the different slabs are placed together they still join into one continuous slab. It doesn't do it when the slabs are generic models but I would like to have my slabs in the correct category.

You should edit your family and offset two edges of the slab to be whatever your joint dimension will be. Leave the dimensional parameter attached to the ref planes, but let your geometry hold back away from the ref plane. That way you can place the components ref-to-ref in the project, but there will remain a joint between each unit. You can dimension to the references to get the correct dims.

houston.cad
2010-06-22, 04:54 PM
OK, Thanks. I guess I will have to fudge it like that.

This is for modular buildings and everything is referenced from the mate line between modules so we don't include a gap between slabs.The framing is offset 1/2" but the slabs are connected tight to each other.

It just doesn't make sense that an object that is a self contained unit like a pre cast slab automatically blends with other slabs. I end up having to add a bunch of detail lines to my elevations and sections etc for something that in my mind just shouldn't be joining with like objects.

Are there settings or a file somewhere to control how the categories behave?