PDA

View Full Version : Truss-problem! (Beam's not fully drawn!)

kappy
2010-06-23, 09:27 AM
Please see attached image, I've also attached the truss .rfa.

I'm experiencing this problem with my truss not drawing the beams fully, and I don't really know what's gone wrong. Could someone help me by taking a look at it and see if you find some errors?

I've tried building the truss from scratch, and i've edited the standard beams to look as I want them.

r.grandmaison
2010-06-23, 03:03 PM
Use the coping tool. You can cope the web members to the chords, and the web members to each other as well. Once you've got them coped, then array/copy the truss. Set the coping distance to "zero".

Another method you can use is to use the Opening by Face and sketch the "ends" of the web members (you have to elongate them first by tab selecting them and "stretching" them beyond their intersecting members). The advantage to this method is you can get very complicated tails ends on the top/bottom chords if you need to, but if you copy the truss the custom openings by face are lost in the clone copies.

Alfredo Medina
2010-06-23, 03:30 PM
I hope Jeff H. is reading this: (Jeff, this is an example of what I was saying about the help documents) http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=119172&highlight=help+documentation

I am trying to do what Bob is saying: use the coping tool. When I do that, Revit gives me this error message: "Coping applied, but no cut was made. Adjust Coping Distance or Extension parameters". OK, fine. So, I look around and I don't see a way to adjust the coping distance, then I go into the Help search text box and type "Coping distance" . The only document found is entitled "Coping and Remove Coping", which does not say anything about coping distance. So I unpin the web members and make them pass the top and bottom cords, or be closer to them, thinking this is the way to adjust the coping distance in reference. Then I still get the same error or just nothing happens. Help documents are definitely not very helpful in this case. :(

The best Help document is the Augi forum. Sorry to bother you again, Bob, but how do you do that coping?

cliff collins
2010-06-23, 04:01 PM
I got the coping tool to work as follows: (RAC 2011)

Unpin the members
grip-edit/drag the ends past each other
apply coping tool
set coping distance equally on each member

see attached image

cheers

Alfredo Medina
2010-06-23, 05:24 PM
...set coping distance equally on each member...

How do I set the coping distance?

r.grandmaison
2010-06-23, 05:42 PM
I got the coping tool to work as follows: (RAC 2011)

Unpin the members
grip-edit/drag the ends past each other
apply coping tool
set coping distance equally on each member

see attached image

cheers

correct you have to make sure the web/chord members overlap to allow for coping. You can't cope a member that stops well short of another...

cliff collins
2010-06-23, 06:16 PM
Coping distance is set in the properties of the member itself.
Tab to highlight the member.

cheers

jeffh
2010-06-24, 01:49 PM
Coping distance is set in the properties of the member itself.
Tab to highlight the member.

cheers

It might be worth noting the coping distance parameter does not show up on the structural member until coping has been applied to the member.

Alfredo Medina
2010-06-24, 02:42 PM
It might be worth noting the coping distance parameter does not show up on the structural member until coping has been applied to the member.

That was the little piece of information that was missing from this puzzle!
Now I found the parameter, and I can move on. Thank you very much.