PDA

View Full Version : Duplicate Type / Estimating Trick

mamoosh
2010-06-23, 05:57 PM
I am working in a GC and we are on a design-build project. we are using QTO here, but I'm trying to see how I can get benefit from revit here. (please do not advise to use QTO :D)

when l get a file from the designer, l set up the schedules and add price column to them and allocate price to them in revit. once the design progressed, the designer sends us another file which is the updated version of the past file.

If l do the schedules again, l will lose the prices l allocated before. To avoid that, l decided to keep the first file in which the schedules are created and prices are allocated, delete the content of the first file, and copy/paste the content of the updated files to it in order to update the schedules with quantities of the added objects in the model while having the unit price for them. However, l need to allocate price to new families/types in the update model which is not a big deal.

the problem here is: when l paste the content of the update file to the first file (through paste aligned -> Pick Level), it gives a message of "duplicate type" and replacing them, in addition to "remove constraint" messages. the bottom line is the quantities will change when l paste them from the update to the first file e.g. in the update l have 239 door, but after this procedure it shows me 43 doors in the schedule.

Any advice?

greg.mcdowell
2010-06-23, 06:24 PM
I would try linking in the Revit file instead. Your schedules should still work provided you check "Include elements in linked files" in the Schedule Properties dialog (Fields tab).

DoTheBIM
2010-06-24, 03:15 PM
I would do what greg suggested first... or copy and past the schedules into the new updated file.

mamoosh
2010-06-25, 03:03 PM
Thanks greg and dothebim for your advices.

The way greg recommended keeps the costs of the elements in the first file, but does not disseminate the cost to the same families and types from the linked (update) file [does not do what I need].
In the way dothebim recommended no cost info is transferred from the schedule.

Anyway, none of them worked out!
Any other advice?

DoTheBIM
2010-06-25, 03:26 PM
You said it was no big deal to redo the costs. So that is why I suggested copy/paste.

If you want your cake and want to eat it too. you will need to get the author of the source file to setup what you need before they send it to you. But good luck with that depending on the relationship....you may find yourself doing this....:banghead: