PDA

View Full Version : Threads and Other Revit Forums

Griff
2004-12-14, 03:36 PM
I was having, and still am having a problem with a window family that I posted yesterday. Learning how to build families is an important part of my goals for this year, cuz to tell the truth, I'm not very good at it yet.

This newsgroup is looking at adding additional Forums. The problem I have with having several Revit Forums is that now my thread has been moved to the Families Forum and I haven't gotten any responses since. Once a thread gets moved out of General, its chances of getting posts definitely go down. I think other Forums are great for archiving threads into categories, but do others typically view those other Forums? I don't know how other users view these Forums but I typically only view the Revit General Forum unless I have a specific issue I'm looking at.

Is it possible to have a thread remain on the General Forum for a week or so, or until resolved? I am the only one around here that is using Revit, so when I come across a problem, this forum is my main source of help.

bclarch
2004-12-14, 04:16 PM
I believe that most regular visitors to these forums search for all new posts when they log on. Having separate forums definitely helps when using the advance search option to filter your search. Someone using the advance search to narrow their search might miss a relevant post if a family related question remained in the general section for weeks. If someone has an answer to your question they will eventually see it and post. Otherwise it might just mean that there isn't a known solution at this time.

Griff
2004-12-14, 04:45 PM
Maybe I'm in the minority and not using this forum the way it was intended. I'll look into searching for new posts in all the Revit forums and see if that works better. I just haven't had many responses once the thread gets moved out of General.

Scott D Davis
2004-12-14, 05:03 PM
Open the Forums, then go to the top level Revit forum. Once that opens, then go to the "Search this Forum" link on the right side and click it. On the resulting pop-up, select New Posts. This will give you a search results page with all new post since the last time you visited in all Revit forums. Then, what I do, is go down the links, starting at the top. I right-click, and open the thread in a new window. then read and reply. Then I close that window, which takes me back to the search results page, and tright-click the next one....

Griff
2004-12-14, 05:13 PM
Thanks Scott, as usual I was so excited about just getting into the Forums I didn't search to find out if there is a better way of setting things up.

So, if a post get moved to a new Forum does it show up as a new post?

pwmsmith
2004-12-14, 09:03 PM
Griff,

I also go to the General Forum regularly several times a day, but only once in a while when specifically looking for something do I visit the other forums.

Scott,

Thanks for the tip using the Forum.

beegee
2004-12-14, 09:11 PM
So, if a post get moved to a new Forum does it show up as a new post?
Yes, it does.

bclarch
2004-12-14, 09:14 PM
Then, what I do, is go down the links, starting at the top. I right-click, and open the thread in a new window. then read and reply. Then I close that window, which takes me back to the search results page, and tright-click the next one....
Scott,
An even faster way is to click on the check mark next to the thread title. This takes you directly to the most recent post in the thread. Once you have read and / or replied to the post you can simply use the back button on your browser will get to the search results page.