PDA

View Full Version : brick ledge with slopes

dzatto
2010-06-24, 09:14 PM
Okay, here's one for you gurus out there. And by all means, if this is too much modeling than tell me. I'm trying to make my building model reflect the real world, but if it's not necessary, than I won't do it! lol

Here's the issue:
I usually show my brick ledge around my building. Easy enough. I know to unlock the brick layer in the wall and set an offset so my brick extends below my finished floor.

The problem is the brick ledge itself. Some areas of a slab are 2X4 ledges, some are 2X6. At the overhead doors, I slope the concrete from finished floor to the brick ledge over a 13" span. How do I show all these different ledges in my model?

Also, (this is a separate issue but I'll ask it here) we have a W6X20 that creates our pit openings. We notch our W 6X20 beam where the floor slopes, cutting out a 1 1/2" X 13" "triangle" and bending the top of the beam down and rewelding the web, creating the slope.

How in the world do I show that on my beams? I thought of a blend or blended sweep, but just the top is sloped. The bottom of the beam is level. A blend would center the new shape and slope both sides (I believe).

okay guys. here's one for you to really think about! lol

Scott Womack
2010-06-25, 09:49 AM
The problem is the brick ledge itself. Some areas of a slab are 2X4 ledges, some are 2X6. At the overhead doors, I slope the concrete from finished floor to the brick ledge over a 13" span. How do I show all these different ledges in my model?

IMHO the approach I'd use is to use two separate walls, and in Section I'd lock the two together so moving one in or out moves the other. This would then allow the walls to have their profiles edited to produce the different height or steps in the brick ledge.

For the deeper one, I would either use a different wall style, or apply an additional in-place void to cut the wall deeper by 2"

Also, (this is a separate issue but I'll ask it here) we have a W6X20 that creates our pit openings. We notch our W 6X20 beam where the floor slopes, cutting out a 1 1/2" X 13" "triangle" and bending the top of the beam down and rewelding the web, creating the slope.

How in the world do I show that on my beams? I thought of a blend or blended sweep, but just the top is sloped. The bottom of the beam is level. A blend would center the new shape and slope both sides (I believe).

I'd actually use a beam, whose length is less the length of the cut, and then create a separate piece for the sloped end, possible out of three solids in a separate family. Then way I could model the bent cord, the web and the other flange separately to control them.

dzatto
2010-06-25, 02:19 PM
IMHO the approach I'd use is to use two separate walls, and in Section I'd lock the two together so moving one in or out moves the other. This would then allow the walls to have their profiles edited to produce the different height or steps in the brick ledge.

For the deeper one, I would either use a different wall style, or apply an additional in-place void to cut the wall deeper by 2"

I'd actually use a beam, whose length is less the length of the cut, and then create a separate piece for the sloped end, possible out of three solids in a separate family. Then way I could model the bent cord, the web and the other flange separately to control them.
Interesting. I'll definately look into that.

For the first problem, I meant the ledges are different width, not depth. Sorry for the confusion.
I've searched and found posts on how to create a brick ledge, but how would I do different width ledges on the same slab? And then the sloped ledge in some places. I'll probably have to split the slab up, then join them?? Sounds like a lot of extra unneeded work just to show my brick ledge. lol

BTW: Why are you up and on AUGI at 4:49 in the morning?? lol

patricks
2010-06-25, 02:48 PM
Interesting. I'll definately look into that.

For the first problem, I meant the ledges are different width, not depth. Sorry for the confusion.
I've searched and found posts on how to create a brick ledge, but how would I do different width ledges on the same slab? And then the sloped ledge in some places. I'll probably have to split the slab up, then join them?? Sounds like a lot of extra unneeded work just to show my brick ledge. lol

BTW: Why are you up and on AUGI at 4:49 in the morning?? lol

early riser? My dad gets up at 4:30 every day, has for the last 30+ years lol

Can you maybe show some sketch examples of what you're trying to achieve? A combination of unlocked wall layers, slab sketch boundaries, and slab edge sweeps may get you what you're after, but I just need to know what the final result is supposed to look like.

dzatto
2010-06-25, 02:58 PM
This may not be too legible or make sense, but here it is. lol

In the PNG, you cans see where the 2X6 turns into a 2X4 ledge. Next to that you can see the slope of the slab at the overhead doors.

dzatto
2010-06-25, 03:39 PM
This is creating another issue. It may not be worth modeling. Here's the issue:

I have a basement with steel runners that create the pit openings in the ceiling (to get to the underside of the cars).

On my basement ceiling structural plan, I show this steel. I have it set up as a view associated with the basement floor, then put an overlay of the basement floor with the reflected ceiling orientation. Looks great.

The problem is that the first floor level is set to finished floor. The brick will be 1.5" below the finished floor. This puts it in the basement floor level and my exterior walls now show on my basement ceiling steel plan. I can't have that. I've tried to get rid of it I can't.

I thought of creating a wall subcategory, but I can't figure out how to apply it to a wall. I'd only need to apply it to the wall that extends below the finished floor in my stacked walls. I found a thread from 2006 that said you can't add a sub category to walls yet. Can you now??

patricks
2010-06-25, 03:57 PM
Truthfully, I wouldn't worry about the 2x4 vs. 2x6 brick ledge area, unless you're going to have some view that shows it out in the open without the walls. I would just unlock my brick, air space, and sheathing layer of my walls, extend it down, and take care of the different brick ledge sizes in my details.

There are ways of modeling it, though. You could have your floor slab sketch be the upper outline of the floor (the one that moves in and out), then host a turndown slab edge to the outermost edge, offset out to create the 2x4 ledge, and then use the grips to pull the slab edge over along the rest of the slab length. This will automatically create your 2x6 ledge.

As for the sloping areas, it can be done with in-place voids. I tried making a floor-hosted void family once for this purpose, but couldn't get it to work right, and so again I just left it to the details.

Now for your basement plan view, try setting the view range so that the top is a couple of inches below your main finished floor level (below the bottom of the brick) and that should make those walls go away. If not, you can always just select the offending walls in the basement view and type EH for Hide Element in View.

dzatto
2010-06-25, 04:10 PM
Truthfully, I wouldn't worry about the 2x4 vs. 2x6 brick ledge area, unless you're going to have some view that shows it out in the open without the walls. I would just unlock my brick, air space, and sheathing layer of my walls, extend it down, and take care of the different brick ledge sizes in my details.

There are ways of modeling it, though. You could have your floor slab sketch be the upper outline of the floor (the one that moves in and out), then host a turndown slab edge to the outermost edge, offset out to create the 2x4 ledge, and then use the grips to pull the slab edge over along the rest of the slab length. This will automatically create your 2x6 ledge.

As for the sloping areas, it can be done with in-place voids. I tried making a floor-hosted void family once for this purpose, but couldn't get it to work right, and so again I just left it to the details.

Now for your basement plan view, try setting the view range so that the top is a couple of inches below your main finished floor level (below the bottom of the brick) and that should make those walls go away. If not, you can always just select the offending walls in the basement view and type EH for Hide Element in View.
Doh! I totally forgot about that. Geeze what a nimrod. :lol:

I tried the view range first, it didn't work. I'll turn them off. Thanks again. :beer:

I'm starting to agree that it's not worth modeling. That's what details are for.

Scott Womack
2010-06-25, 04:11 PM
IBTW: Why are you up and on AUGI at 4:49 in the morning?? lol

4:49 Dallas Time

5:49 Pittsburgh Time (East Coast time)

dzatto
2010-06-25, 04:11 PM
4:49 Dallas Time

5:49 Pittsburgh Time (East Coast time)
Still about 3 hours too early! lol