PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling will not Host components....

bpayne
2010-06-25, 01:00 PM
I have a project that universally will not allow us to place/host components. We can copy new instances of existing components, but not place new instances of the same family. We do not think it is a visibility issue. All worksets are on, etc.

Any ideas? Our deadline is today!

cliff collins
2010-06-25, 01:06 PM
Try starting a new test project.

make a new ceiling, exactly like the one in your real job.

Then try placing lights. If they work, it's something in your real job that's wrong.

If they don't, then it's the light family.

You could also copy/paste the light fixture family into a face-based family template, save, load into project and select all instances and replace them all.
Or use a ready-made face-based light fixture if you have one.

just some thoughts. good luck!

cheers

bpayne
2010-06-25, 01:19 PM
nice idea....but its not a family issue. We have been using some of these families for years....and for at least 8 months on this project. This is a recent development in our project.

cliff collins
2010-06-25, 01:30 PM
Did you try a new test project? What happens?

If it's not hosting, then try a face based fixture family.

Any linked models in the mix? Revit MEP?

Just trying to help get your deadline met.

cheers

bpayne
2010-06-25, 01:37 PM
OK....so we were able to fix it.....a team member had used the first floor plan as an underlay for the second floor RCP. This caused all new components that were placed on the second floor RCP to actually host to the FIRST floor RCP. As soon as we removed the underlay on the second floor, both the first and second floor RCP's started to behave normally!

Then we just had to go to the first floor RCP and delete all the extra hosted families!
The factory might want to know about this one!

bpayne
2010-06-25, 01:40 PM
cliff, thanks for the suggestions...what I was trying to explain was that the families were hosting correct, except for the newly placed instances. That is why I was convinced it wasn't a family issue....also it was happening to every family we tried.