PDA

View Full Version : altering exsisting symbol families

jwenzeljr
2010-06-25, 08:40 PM
ok im altering existing families so that i can make new symbols for example i used the ones given at http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=45219 (some one did a bunch already) in this case i used the outlet symbol and since i wanted to make the GFI the same symbol wiht the Letters G.F.I. now how come since i saved it as a family when i load it and place it. the GFI letters are missing. what did i do wrong?

tropitech
2010-06-26, 12:44 AM
make sure you click 'update component and parameters' when loading the family back into your project.
if you renamed the family before loading it into the project it will not automatically update, as you have loaded a differently-named family from the original and you will have both the old and new family loaded. select the old one and change it to your new family.
if this is not your problem you should check visibility settings first and possibly even the view range, depending on how you made your family.
attaching the erroneous file with your post always helps :)

jwenzeljr
2010-06-26, 02:27 AM
here is a the file. i took a normal outlet and added the text WPGFI and the letters wont come up. if you can figure this out that be great because a have the same problem with several files

sr i ddint add it right out

tropitech
2010-06-26, 10:20 AM
yes, you are right, it's symbolic text and it won't show up in the project. Given the database way Revit works it probably wants you to identify objects by tagging them with the added benefit of instant scheduling.

jwenzeljr
2010-06-26, 12:36 PM
how in teh world do you do that??? use lines to make the letters

m20roxxers
2010-06-26, 02:16 PM
Nest a generic annotation family with the text in It then load it into your family to have the text appear.

iru69
2010-06-26, 02:45 PM
m20roxxers is correct - that's the way you would do it if you want text in a detail component.

However, I don't know that it makes sense to make electrical symbols as detail components in the first place.

Preferably, make the electrical symbol a "symbol" (i.e. generic annotation family).

jwenzeljr, there's quite a few threads on this topic... search is your friend. Also, there's a sub-forum dedicated to Revit family support... that's where this thread should have been started. Just something to keep in mind for next time. :beer:

jwenzeljr
2010-06-28, 12:09 AM
c that's what im wrestling with. how do you put a generic annotation text in there

twiceroadsfool
2010-06-28, 02:11 AM
The Out of the box Outlet MODEL families, have a Generic Annotation in them. You can edit both to do exactly what you want, and not have the headache of your electrical objects being detail components. They should be regular components.