PDA

View Full Version : Help: Default Coping Distance Setting???

r.grandmaison
2010-06-26, 04:52 PM
Whenever I cope two beams, I would MUCH rather have the default coping setting set to zero and not to the default 1". Does anyone know where that setting is kept? Is there a way to change it?

Alfredo Medina
2010-06-27, 06:27 PM
I doubt that this setting is available for the user. Even finding the parameter for changing the coping distance is difficult. Finding help on the subject is even more difficult. Not a very friendly feature, is it?

cliff collins
2010-06-28, 12:49 PM
I think the reason it is set by default to 1" is to accommodate plates/bolts/weld connctions
which tyically occupy the "gap" between members.

Maybe post this on RS and see what they say over there?

cheers

Revit for Breakfast
2010-07-23, 12:42 PM
Its kinda tricky, I'm struggling with the concept myself, but I did find something in my adventures you could try.

Step 1:

Make the cope by selecting the 2 pieces and working the magic.

Step 2:

Click on the framing member not the column.

Step 3:

Go to element properties for that beam. Scroll down and you will see coping distance.

That said, I'm still lost to get my two pieces working. :S

Revit for Breakfast
2010-07-23, 02:44 PM
Well, I had even more luck! Very trick to explain, but I'll try.

Follow steps 1, 2, 3 from before.

Set up 2 views and tile them (3D and Section) of the join. Use thin lines as well.

You want to refer to your handbook of steel components and search for your piece. In my example I am trying to cope a W310 x 28 to another one.

In the handbook you want to find the value for " k " (see file: cope 2). That is your coping distance. My example is 12mm.

This is where my image gets tricky because visually it does not make sense, but when you enter your coping value both dimensions will be equal. Don't believe me set your coping to an extreme like 100 and you will understand. You also want to make sure your beam is set to the center of the beam you are coping with.

Here is another tricky part: Finding those little blue lefty right arrows. Once you get them on the scene, adjust them to the center of the beam you are coping to. When you have done it right a lock will show up. Lock it and your done. The K value is your cope!

Good luck!

Say OK to all the error boxes when you get them as well.