PDA

View Full Version : Not enough space on C drive

mbalsom
2010-06-27, 11:39 PM
Trying to open a project of 95MB on my work machine,which has 160GB free space, and keep getting this error (see image). The project was created on my home machine with 1TB. The TEMP file is cleaned out. I have seen some threads on this forum but no real answers except to path TEMP file to larger seperate hard drive.
The project does contain quite a few .tiff images.
How much free space does Revit need to open a 95MB project.

Dave Jones
2010-06-27, 11:49 PM
Trying to open a project of 95MB on my work machine,which has 160GB free space, and keep getting this error (see image). The project was created on my home machine with 1TB. The TEMP file is cleaned out. I have seen some threads on this forum but no real answers except to path TEMP file to larger seperate hard drive.
How much free space does Revit need to open a 95MB project.

obviously more than 160MB. If you don't have a separate hard drive installed is there any chance of backing up, deleting, then restoring some not so important files to get the Revit file to open?

iru69
2010-06-28, 02:02 AM
A 160 GB free not MB. ;-)

Obviously more disk space is not the issue... this appears to be a bug.

obviously more than 160MB.

I have seen some threads on this forum but no real answers except to path TEMP file to larger seperate hard drive.
Indeed there are a number of threads on this error message - did you try anything suggested? Amount of RAM? Windows 32-bit or 64-bit?

Doing a "disk cleanup" to clean out temp folders, and cleaning out Revit's journal folder has often seemed to do the trick when this problem has cropped up before. If neither of those work, you may need to submit a support request.

Dave Jones
2010-06-28, 02:17 AM
[quote=iru69;1079978]A 160 GB free not MB. ;-)

on what basis? I've opened several 100MB + files without a problem. But then I have 3 1TB hard drives. Not enough hard drive space should not be considered a "bug"

mbalsom
2010-06-28, 02:40 AM

Indeed there are a number of threads on this error message - did you try anything suggested? Amount of RAM? Windows 32-bit or 64-bit?

Doing a "disk cleanup" to clean out temp folders, and cleaning out Revit's journal folder has often seemed to do the trick when this problem has cropped up before. If neither of those work, you may need to submit a support request.

Tried all forum suggestions.
Running Windows 7, 4GB, 32Bit here at work. Will try tonight when I home,before making support request.
I have desktop and laptop (at home) both running Windows 7,8GB, 1TB,64Bit. This will narrow it down to disc space,maybe!

mbalsom
2010-06-28, 03:40 AM
Just thought I would try saving images as jpeg and as tiff and compare.
Image as jpeg 1.8mb
image as tiff 198mb (100 x jpeg)
Printed both on sheets and could not pick the difference.
As I have 18 of these tiff images in my project I think I have found the issue.
Anyone know how Revit handles image sizes when importing,do they stay the same size as before they were imported? and if so how does Revit compress all that into 98MB (project file size).

Will be changing jpeg tonight by the look of it.

ghale
2010-06-28, 01:08 PM

Doing a disk cleanup always fixes this error for us. Having lots of images in a project is never a good idea. Save and purge out images as soon as they are not needed anymore.

DaveP
2010-06-28, 01:15 PM
Just thought I would try saving images as jpeg and as tiff and compare.
Will be changing jpeg tonight by the look of it.

You might try .png files, too. I've found that they tend to be even smaller than .jpgs and plot crisper". Client logos often look kind of fuzzy as .jpgs while their edges look sharper as a .png.

jspartz
2010-06-28, 06:19 PM
NEVER use TIFFs in Revit! The only time you use TIFF is to keep layered image information within a more universal file format than PSD. They are uncompressed lossless files. Use PNGs for compressed lossless files. PNGs also support alpha channel (transparency) just like TIFF. PNGs are smaller that JPEGs usually too, unless there's a lot of artifacts from scans. If using JPEGs (which is a lossy format), use the standard 15% compression (85% quality), with no subsampling if you can. You're 100 MB file, will probably be 1 or 2 MBs.

jspartz
2010-06-28, 06:30 PM
By the way, I think the no space message is because of your virtual memory. For every picture in every program, the computer loads it into RAM, which takes up more room than the actual saved file size, and once your RAM is full it relies on allocated temp space of your HD called virtual memory, or paging file, which in Windows 7 by default is equal to your RAM amount. When opening the file, the images filled your RAM and your paging file, not the whole 160GB, because it's not allowed to use any more than your paging file size.

After switching the image type, you can up your allocated virtual memory too, under control panel, system, advanced, performance, advanced, and virtual memory.

mbalsom
2010-06-28, 08:52 PM
NEVER use TIFFs in Revit! You're 100 MB file, will probably be 1 or 2 MBs.

Thanks for the info on different formats, very informative.
Important lesson learnt NEVER use TIFFs in Revit!
Changed format to .png and everything is sweet !!!
Thanks all.