PDA

View Full Version : Best Practices/tips for a new condo project?

rtaube
2010-06-28, 03:16 AM
I'm about to start a new project, my first completely in Revit. It's a 6 story condo project above 1 floor of ground level retail. There will be about 10 different unit plans repeated throughout, two courtyards, a pool. 2 levels of subterranean garage.

I'm fairly proficient in Revit, but definitely not an expert. Are there any general tips that the community might have as I begin? Methods of laying out the project, creating unit plans, grouping unit plans, building exterior walls, etc? Any pitfalls that I should avoid early on?

Thank you for any suggestions

Ryan

Scott Womack
2010-06-28, 10:06 AM
It's a 6 story condo project above 1 floor of ground level retail. There will be about 10 different unit plans repeated throughout, two courtyards, a pool. 2 levels of subterranean garage.

Are there any general tips that the community might have as I begin? Methods of laying out the project, creating unit plans, grouping unit plans, building exterior walls, etc? Any pitfalls that I should avoid early on?

Although others might disagree, I'd use groups for the units. Exterior walls full height, even if stacked walls are needed. If structural will be in Revit, the possible, use above and below grade walls as completely separate walls. (except at balconies) If floors are the same, group units, then group them into a floor for speed later on.

I'm working on a 12 story dormitory using this method.

Beware of line-based and wall hosted objects in your grouped units.

An entry door can be in the unit group, even if the corridor wall is not.

Use a minimum of two files, the building, and then a site file. Site will have the AutoCAD siteplan(s) and Topography in it. Later you can sub-divide an area just outside the building to put a limited amount of topography into your building site for ease of use. Use this site file to aquaire shared coordinates from the AutoCAD file, then link this into your building file (and visa-versa) but in your building fi;e, acquire the shared coordinates from the linked Revit Site file.

Good Luck

rtaube
2010-06-28, 12:24 PM
Thanks Scott, those are great. What should I be wary of with line-based or wall hosted objects in groups? Do the tend not to propogate across the groups?

Also, what is the best method of constructing the demising wall between units? In previous CAD projects, each unit would be XREFed in and have a single stud wall at the common wall, they would be seperated by a 1" or 2" air gap. It seems that in Revit, however, it might be better to construct a double stud wall type that is seperate from the group. Am I right in my assumption?

Cheers,
Ryan

Scott Womack
2010-06-28, 09:12 PM
What should I be wary of with line-based or wall hosted objects in groups? Do the tend not to propogate across the groups?

Also, what is the best method of constructing the demising wall between units? In previous CAD projects, each unit would be XREFed in and have a single stud wall at the common wall, they would be seperated by a 1" or 2" air gap. It seems that in Revit, however, it might be better to construct a double stud wall type that is seperate from the group. Am I right in my assumption?

Line-based and some wall hosted families tend to go off in space when a group is mirrored. They also give grief when copying the groups from level to level.

Second part is "depends....." on how far you want to take the "BIM" and if a CM will get a hold of the model. The the separate walls, with a reference plane in the center as a part of each group. Doing it as a single wall, and then putting it in each group, will produce a larger number of warnings, which may eventually slow the project down.