PDA

View Full Version : Linetype Generation Problem in Viewports

dherbstr
2010-06-29, 10:32 PM
Using:
AutoCAD 2008

Problem:
In model space, polylines display correctly with linetype generation disabled.
In paper space, polylines of model space objects (via viewports) display as if linetype generation is enabled, even though it isn't.

Problem occurs in all files created using our current standards configuration and templates, and it doesn't matter if the model/paper space are in the same file or x-refed between two files (same linetype problem). I cannot find a setting/variable to change. Please see attached example file.

irneb
2010-06-30, 06:44 AM
I'm not sure about LTGen ... I don't seem to see this problem. What I have noticed with your drawing is that you don't have the MS set with MSLTSCALE=1 while the PS has PSLTSCALE=1.

With MSTLSCALE=0 your model space shows linetypes as per 1:1 scale ... which appears like a continuous line because the dashes are so small. The MSLTSCALE=1 allows the MS to adjust according to your CANNOSCALE as well (same as the VPScale is affected by the PSLTSCALE=1). See the attached DWG where I've adjusted to suit.

dherbstr
2010-07-01, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the input, but I knew the ltscales were set that way, and in my drawings no matter how I adjust them it has no effect on the problem.

I noticed in the drawing you posted back you changed the Linetypes by layer to be dashed (instead of continuous). The lines are supposed to be continuous in model space and dashed in the viewport. When I changed the layer linetypes back to continuous (and left them dashed by viewport), I got the linetype generation error again in the viewport.

It wouldn't be a problem if the polylines only looked like they had generation enabled, but they print that way too.

irneb
2010-07-01, 05:07 AM
Yes I did notice you had viewport overrides for the 2 layers in question. So I can now see your point! It seems to be something to do with viewport-layer overrides. If the layer is set to Continuous (in MS) and some other line type (I even tried Center) in the viewport, the LTGen seems to happen whether you've got it turned on or not.

This only happens if the layer's default is Continuous, if it's set to anything else it works fine. I don't think there's a setting ... it seems to be a bug. Could someone else check in a newer version if this still happens? See the screen captures attached.

Maybe you should open a bug report with ADesk.

jpaulsen
2010-07-02, 12:41 PM
I opened the drawing in C3D 2011 and the polyline does not behave as if LTGen is on. The screen capture is how it looks when I open the drawing.

irneb
2010-07-02, 01:06 PM
So, it must be something which was repaired since 2008. BTW, there's a workaround for this: Convert the lightweight polyline to the older type 2D polyline. Use the ConvertPoly command and choose the Heavy option, also set PLineType to 0 so your new polylines are also the older type (other than if set to 1) and the 2dPolys don't get converted on open (if set to 2). Not ideal, but until you upgrade this should do the trick.

Just one niggly thing about this ... some commands don't adhere to the PLineType, e.g. Rectangle will still create LWPolyLines.