PDA

View Full Version : Failed to save document

domglam
2010-07-05, 10:22 AM
Has anybody else had problems with saving files in revit 2011. After saving my file once, i am unable to save it again, unless i save it with a new file name.

I get the message "failed to save document", and "file not saved".

The file is 19mb, and is running on windows 7 32, with 3gb or ram, and i am running microsoft security essentials with exceptions on revit files and program exe.

it is driving me crazy!!!

Elmo
2010-07-05, 12:25 PM
Try doing a disk cleanup by going to your C: drive, right click and go to properties. In the general page you will find a disk cleanup tool. Inside this tool there should be a list of files to clean up, make sure that temporary folder is ticked on and proceed to do a disk cleanup. Once you have done this, try doing a file save on that file again.

If it is still giving that issue you might want to look at your read/write for your user profile on that particular file.

domglam
2010-07-05, 03:21 PM
sweet...that seems to have worked.

I have been getting all sorts of issues recently, including major slow downs on my system, and my video driver not responding, and going into recovery. I might have to upgrade to win 7 64 bit ,and get some more ram.

martijnderiet
2010-07-06, 06:38 AM
I have this problem too sometimes.
It seems to me this indicates a shortage of memory. At least, for me it always happens when I have opened multiple programs, windows or projects.
What always helps with me is saving the file under a different name. This usually does the trick. After that, I restart my pc and everything is fixed.

Elmo
2010-07-06, 07:02 AM
This usually happens with windows 32bit. Your temp files get a little to big and it can't use the temp folder as dumping space to be able to save the file. One of my work collegues discovered the solution to this and it has so far resolved this issue every time.

domglam
2010-07-06, 07:41 AM
thanks for the help...my temp file was massive!

domglam
2010-07-06, 09:04 AM
Actually it appears to be something to do with my read only status on my folder and not my temp files after all.

Every time i change my folder status from read only, it resets itself to read only again. I have to change the status to save the file...weird

Elmo
2010-07-06, 01:25 PM
Create a new folder and see if it reacts in the same way. Where are you creating the file?

domglam
2010-07-06, 04:40 PM
I have been creating the files in the windows 7 Libraries / Documents directory. I have administration privileges, and yet the folder continues to default back to read only.

Elmo
2010-07-07, 12:16 PM
Try creating a folder in your C: drive and see if reacts the same way. If it doesn't rather save your projects there.

domglam
2010-07-07, 03:59 PM
Thanks Elmo, but I have finally found the problem. See below.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7security/thread/be05c603-8a55-4fe6-9335-6fa125d47381

Same problem for me, I tried everything suggested above, except WilliamJE's suggestion, and was still stuck. (I don't really understand WilliamJE's suggestion.)
I seem to have fixed the problem for me though by doing the following:

- open 'properties' on the highest level folder you want to change attributes
- click 'security' tab
- click 'advanced'
- click 'change permissions'
- click 'add'
- enter 'Everyone' in the 'enter the object name to select' dialog box
- click 'check names'
- click OK
- click 'full control' in the 'allow' column
- click OK
- click the box (turn on) 'replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object'
- click OK
- confirm any 'are you sure' type messages that pop up along the way
and you should be set! Whew!

Elmo
2010-07-08, 07:47 AM
In my first post I stated that it sounded like it could be a user read/write issue. Seems like a few of your folders didn't have the correct level settings. In the link you provided it says Xp to windows 7 upgrade. I am guessing that you didn't do a reformat and rather upgraded your windows. Is that correct?

Either way glad you solved it and I find it interesting to see how an upgrade effects the windows.

domglam
2010-07-08, 09:10 AM
It was a strange occurrence. The first thing i had changed when i had the original error was the read only property, however the file continued to reset to read only.

I then cleared the temp files folder and everything seemed to be OK again ( i think this was just a coincidence).

I did a clean install of windows 7, however i did use the windows file transfer utility which could have something to do with it.