PDA

View Full Version : Distance between Dim Lines?

Dave Jones
2010-07-06, 04:58 PM
What controls the distance between dimension lines? It's not scale.

jeffh
2010-07-06, 06:11 PM
It is a type property of the dimension family. The "Dimension Line Snap Distance" controls where the dimension lines will want to snap into.

Dave Jones
2010-07-06, 06:24 PM
It is a type property of the dimension family. The "Dimension Line Snap Distance" controls where the dimension lines will want to snap into.

thanks Jeff, I figured it was something simple. Still finding my way around Revit

patricks
2010-07-06, 09:35 PM

:shock:

Been a Revit user for over 6 years now and NEVER knew about that! :mrgreen: Learn something new every day I guess LOL! I know dimensions like to snap to other dimensions in line with them, but I never knew about that snap distance thing. I've seen it appear to snap when nothing else is in line, and I wondered why it did that, and I guess it's the snap distance setting I was seeing.

Dave Jones
2010-07-06, 11:04 PM
:shock:

Been a Revit user for over 6 years now and NEVER knew about that! :mrgreen: Learn something new every day I guess LOL! I know dimensions like to snap to other dimensions in line with them, but I never knew about that snap distance thing. I've seen it appear to snap when nothing else is in line, and I wondered why it did that, and I guess it's the snap distance setting I was seeing.

the only problem is that I change the value and there is no difference in dimension line location, existing or new. The dim lines still snap at 12" away from the last one regardless of scale.

d.stairmand
2010-07-07, 07:15 AM
Dave
You have to input the distance as measured on your sheet of paper - not off the model.
The offset should be somewhere between 5-25mm, or 1/4-1"

Dave Jones
2010-07-07, 02:45 PM
Dave
You have to input the distance as measured on your sheet of paper - not off the model.
The offset should be somewhere between 5-25mm, or 1/4-1"

OK, the initial value is 1/4" and the dim lines are 12" apart. I change the value to 1/2" and the dim lines are 12" apart. I change the value to 12" and the dim lines are 12" apart. I'm dimensioning in a section view. In (that other program I use sometimes) it's easy to change this relationship between dim lines. I can't figure out how to make it work in (the new program I'm trying to use)

jeffh
2010-07-07, 02:49 PM
OK, the initial value is 1/4" and the dim lines are 12" apart. I change the value to 1/2" and the dim lines are 12" apart. I change the value to 12" and the dim lines are 12" apart. I'm dimensioning in a section view. In (that other program I use sometimes) it's easy to change this relationship between dim lines. I can't figure out how to make it work in (the new program I'm trying to use)

It does not change the distance after the dimension string is placed. Once placed, the dimension string will forever be at that distance. This setting only controls the snapping point of where the dimension "wants" to be in relation to other dimension strings.

Dave Jones
2010-07-07, 03:19 PM
It does not change the distance after the dimension string is placed. Once placed, the dimension string will forever be at that distance. This setting only controls the snapping point of where the dimension "wants" to be in relation to other dimension strings.

OK, I think I've got it now. I guess it's important to figure out your output scale ahead of time so one doesn't have to do their dimensioning over and over again. Not much different than that "other program" I guess :)

Scott D Davis
2010-07-07, 05:49 PM
OK, I think I've got it now. I guess it's important to figure out your output scale ahead of time so one doesn't have to do their dimensioning over and over again. Not much different than that "other program" I guess :)

Maybe I'm missing what you are saying, but if you like your dimensions to always be 1/2" apart, then set the Snap Distance to 1/2". Scale of the view won't matter as your dimensions will always be 1/2" apart (if you snapped them to this position) no matter the scale of the view, if you plot your sheets at 100%.

Dave Jones
2010-07-07, 06:30 PM
Maybe I'm missing what you are saying, but if you like your dimensions to always be 1/2" apart, then set the Snap Distance to 1/2". Scale of the view won't matter as your dimensions will always be 1/2" apart (if you snapped them to this position) no matter the scale of the view, if you plot your sheets at 100%.

well, then I'm obviously doing something wrong. The dimensions shown in the attached were created using the snap line withe the Dimension Line Snap Distance set to 1/4"

Scott D Davis
2010-07-07, 07:44 PM
well, then I'm obviously doing something wrong. The dimensions shown in the attached were created using the snap line withe the Dimension Line Snap Distance set to 1/4"

right, now put those 3 views on a 30x42 sheet and all of them will have the same 1/4" spacing. The dimensions in each view need to be placed AFTER you adjust the scale of the view. (or adjusted to the "snap" after adjusting the scale)

Dave Jones
2010-07-07, 08:55 PM
right, now put those 3 views on a 30x42 sheet and all of them will have the same 1/4" spacing. The dimensions in each view need to be placed AFTER you adjust the scale of the view. (or adjusted to the "snap" after adjusting the scale)

got it, thanks. Place the view on a sheet, figure out the scale required, then dimension the darned thing back in the view. Like I said earlier, not much different than what's required in Aut...uh, that other program :)

patricks
2010-07-07, 09:17 PM
You don't really need to place them on a sheet first. Just set the parameter to around double your text size to the nearest 1/4" or so (3/32 text for us, so 1/4" spacing looks comfortable).

But if you do change the scale of the view, the dimensions will not move accordingly. If you double the scale, the dimensions will be 1/2" apart instead of the original 1/4", and vice versa.

Scott D Davis
2010-07-07, 10:37 PM
If you double the scale, the dimensions will be 1/2" apart instead of the original 1/4", and vice versa.

and then you just have to click and drag on a dimension and it will "snap" back at the 1/4" spacing. Don't have to re-dimension.

Dave Jones
2010-07-07, 11:00 PM
and then you just have to click and drag on a dimension and it will "snap" back at the 1/4" spacing. Don't have to re-dimension.

Bingo! that's the missing link for me. I've been re dimensioning when I haven't had to. Thanks!