PDA

View Full Version : 2011: "Select all instances" of viewports is gone - do you care?

Wes Macaulay
2010-07-06, 06:44 PM
In 2010, you could right click a viewport and choose Select All Instances in the project. This is no longer possible in 2011.

Why might you need to do this?

to purge out a viewport style that you no longer need or want in the project (by selecting all instances of that style and switching to a viewport style you wish to retain)
to purge out unwanted user-created or non-conforming viewport styles users have created in the project
to select a number of views that had a presentation style viewport for an earlier phase of the project and switch them all to a working drawing viewport styleThe first two of the above tasks are going to be a real pain now :-S

I've attached a poll for you to confirm your need of this feature. In a total moment of pure facepalm, I made this same post based on sheets earlier this morning, but I meant viewports.

twiceroadsfool
2010-07-06, 09:08 PM
It has to come back. Consistancy Consistancy Consistancy. I grab viewports all the time and do SAI to change something. Change the Viewport box its in, switch them to different viewport types.

Why the heck did it get removed in the first place? Hopefully it was an accident...

patricks
2010-07-06, 09:16 PM
oooo so maybe this is why I couldn't do a Select All Instances when trying to remove a rogue View Title type from my 2011 template the other day. The same issue seems to permeate through to View Title annotation types. Other annotation families can do a SAI operation, but view title family types cannot.

:banghead:

Wes Macaulay
2010-07-06, 09:18 PM
Actually - it looks like it was on purpose :-(

Dear Wes Macaulay,

Thank you for choosing Autodesk Support.

I understand that you can no longer Select All Instances of Viewports in 2011.

I have been able to verify that this behavior has been changed.

If you want, you can use the following link to submit feedback or a feature request, regarding this option, to our Development group:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794
So everyone -- send feedback at that link to let them know this isn't going to fly!

patricks
2010-07-06, 09:23 PM
feedback sent... shame on them!!! :mad:

twiceroadsfool
2010-07-06, 10:10 PM
Feedback Sent.

Scott Womack
2010-07-07, 09:55 AM
Feedback sent!!

dfriesen
2010-07-07, 01:32 PM
Sent. I'm guessing this exclusion was touted as some sort of benefit to new users.:roll:

twiceroadsfool
2010-07-07, 01:52 PM
Sent. I'm guessing this exclusion was touted as some sort of benefit to new users.:roll:

I got an email back from QA that it was indeed a bug, and that with the feedback theyre receiving theyre increasing its severity. The bugs SPR is 192885, if anyone else wants to reference it.

The feedback i sent is below:

Select All Instances of a Viewport Type has been
removed in 2011, and this feature removal is highly detrimental to our
Daily workflow. Allow me to explain: We do work in countries
requiring both Metric and Imperial sizes of sheets. This means we
have various View Titles as well (Due mainly in fact that we remain
unable to constrain a Label's location in a family, so if we need
ANYTHING right justified (by our standards or our clients, some of
which are handed down mandates from organizations), we need to
duplicate Viewport Types, and duplicate Annotation Family Files for
them. Previously, if we knew that VP-1x1-Imp was switching to
VP-.86x.86-Met, we could select all instances and switch them,
directly from the project. This is much more beneficial than doing a
reload from for the annotation family, since this option USED to let
us maintain the Imp. set of viewport titles within, WHILE replacing
all the views at once. Our only workaround now is to reload from >
and lose all of the Imperial Viewport annotation families.... Or
replace the viewport types one by one. On a 25 story building with a
Floor Plan broken up in to 6 sheets, this task that used to take under
an hour may very well now take multiple DAYS for someone to complete.
This isnt acceptable. "

jeffh
2010-07-07, 01:52 PM
This issue has been noted and logged with development.

scott.latch
2010-07-07, 03:05 PM
Thanks to everyone for bringing this to our attention. As Jeff stated, the issue has been logged and we are working to resolve the problem.

Wes Macaulay
2010-07-07, 05:00 PM
Funny that this didn't come up as a severe issue earlier - I think even the Beta had this problem.

twiceroadsfool
2010-07-07, 05:05 PM
Its one of those tasks that you dont play around with, because its basic, and unless youre doing real work, why would you select all instances of a viewport, you know? I know for sure there are some things i just didnt try in the beta.

Editing text fields for multiple items instance parameters is another. I played with the Prop Palette, sure. But i didnt do that. Wish i had though, hehehehe. :)

jeffh
2010-09-29, 01:44 PM
This issue has been noted and logged with development.

Update release 2 has a fix which resolves this issue. Thanks to everyone for providing feedback to us on this issue so we could quickly resolve the problem.