PDA

View Full Version : Dimension Text?

Dave Jones
2010-07-07, 09:31 PM
all of my dimensions on elevations, plans, and sections have suffixes. I know that I can click on a dimension twice and get the Dimension Text dialog that allows me to add a suffix but it has to be done one dim at a time. Is there a way to do a batch at once, or better yet, is there a way to add the suffix while dimensioning?

patricks
2010-07-07, 09:37 PM
What is the suffix? If it's related to your dimension units, certain project unit length settings have the option for a suffix such as m for meters, etc.

Alfredo Medina
2010-07-07, 10:14 PM
If the suffix is something like "V.I.F." (verify in field), no, there is no way to do that globally.

Now, if the suffix is just a unit of measurement, such as "mm" that one is easy: Manage > Project Units > Length > Unit symbol. , or by selecting a dimension and doing Edit Type > Units format > Uncheck project settings > Unit symbol.

Dave Jones
2010-07-07, 10:52 PM
If the suffix is something like "V.I.F." (verify in field), no, there is no way to do that globally.

Now, if the suffix is just a unit of measurement, such as "mm" that one is easy: Manage > Project Units > Length > Unit symbol. , or by selecting a dimension and doing Edit Type > Units format > Uncheck project settings > Unit symbol.

my suffixes are abbreviations for what the dimension is to and from, like RO for rough opening or FD for frame dimension. These two aren't to bad as there is only one of each dimension horizontally and vertically but what we in our industry call Daylite Opening (the dimension from inside of mullion to inside of mullion) happens many times in each elevation, plan, and section. It seems like one should be able to make a linear dimension family with a parameter for a suffix and use that for DLO dimensions. Is that possible?

Alfredo Medina
2010-07-07, 11:12 PM
... It seems like one should be able to make a linear dimension family with a parameter for a suffix and use that for DLO dimensions. Is that possible?

Hmm... No. Dimensions are one of those hard coded things in Revit that we mortals can't create. :(

Dave Jones
2010-07-07, 11:56 PM
Hmm... No. Dimensions are one of those hard coded things in Revit that we mortals can't create. :(

sometimes "hard coded things" and productivity can't be in the same sentence!
:(