PDA

View Full Version : Dimension in 3D View

ford347
2010-07-08, 03:55 PM
Well, since I cannot search for 'dimension in 3d view', or 'dimension 3d view' because the word 3d is too short, I guess I'll post a thread. (lame restriction)

I wanted to do some 3d detailing for some sheet metal flashing, so I built a family, threw it on a future phase in my project and created a 3d view. It seems dimensioning in a 3d view is very limited. Am I correct? or am I missing something? All dimensions are flat, no other choices, some dimensions you simply cannot do.

Thanks
Josh

Scott D Davis
2010-07-08, 04:13 PM
dimensions in 3D are workplane based. Set a workplane by picking on a face of the model and dimension that face, then set a new workplane and create more dims, etc.

ford347
2010-07-08, 04:29 PM
Cool, I did not know that! Thanks Scott!

Josh

eric.piotrowicz
2010-07-08, 05:26 PM
I agree that the two letter thing is goofy but you can do a seach containing words of two letters or less if you put the phrase in quotes.

ford347
2010-07-08, 06:24 PM
you can do a seach containing words of two letters or less if you put the phrase in quotes

Thanks for the heads up, I was not aware of that.

eric.piotrowicz
2010-07-08, 06:39 PM
No problem, somebody here (I think it was Patricks) tipped me off to that one a while back and it comes in handy from time to time.

ford347
2010-07-08, 06:39 PM
dimensions in 3D are workplane based. Set a workplane by picking on a face of the model and dimension that face, then set a new workplane and create more dims, etc.

I just created my 3d details and that is pretty slick. I like how it turned out. I think it would be really cool if there was some kind of a quick pick tool for planes for annotating a 3d view like this, just to keep things speedy, but I'm glad we have the option to do it in the first place.

Thanks again.

Wes Macaulay
2010-07-08, 07:03 PM
Easy -- set a one-key shortcut for the Set workplane tool. For us, it's the F9 key...

ford347
2010-07-08, 07:12 PM
Easy -- set a one-key shortcut for the Set workplane tool. For us, it's the F9 key...

Yeah, I have a shortcut for the set work plane, but it still brings up the dialog box to leave you to select or pick. In the case of detailing a 3d view, I think most of the time you would be picking your plane, so it would be nice to bi-pass the dialog specifically for annotation a 3d view.

I tried setting a shortcut for the 'pick plane' tool, but that does not seem to work? Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Are you able to use a shortcut for the pick plane tool?

Thanks,

Wes Macaulay
2010-07-08, 07:17 PM
No - and I do wish you could double-click on the radio button for "Pick a Plane" and have it dismiss the dialog. So I reach over with my left hand to hit Enter.

Seems to me that the Set workplane dialog can be dismissed in some cases with a double-click, but can't remember where.

ford347
2010-07-08, 08:05 PM
One other thing, now that I have my 3d detail drawn, I would like to reference it from a floor plan through a call-out or section, but 3d views are not available in the reference other view list. How do you do this?

eric.piotrowicz
2010-07-08, 08:30 PM
While you can't reference a live 3D view but you can reference a stored rendering. Although I'm not sure what would happen to all the annotation when the view was rendered.

Scott D Davis
2010-07-08, 08:45 PM
One other thing, now that I have my 3d detail drawn, I would like to reference it from a floor plan through a call-out or section, but 3d views are not available in the reference other view list. How do you do this?

There is a Revit add-on tool called Drawing Freeze, which basically takes a view and creates linework out of it and saves it to a drafting view. It could then have a callout associated to it. The plug-in works for Revit Structure, but I'm pretty sure you can get it to work in Revit Arch as well.

Dave Jones
2010-07-08, 09:59 PM
There is a Revit add-on tool called Drawing Freeze, which basically takes a view and creates linework out of it and saves it to a drafting view. It could then have a callout associated to it. The plug-in works for Revit Structure, but I'm pretty sure you can get it to work in Revit Arch as well.

It works in Revit Arch also but doesn't create a realistic view when the 3D visual style is shaded in any way. Best used with the view in hidden line mode

Scott D Davis
2010-07-08, 10:45 PM
It works in Revit Arch also but doesn't create a realistic view when the 3D visual style is shaded in any way. Best used with the view in hidden line mode

Correct, because the "frozen" view is just linework...no solids or faces or materials. Really, its DWG linework. There is nothing to add color/material to.

gaby424
2010-07-09, 03:03 PM
a thought...on a sheet insert the rendered image at the back of the frosen detail. delete only solid geometry from the frosen image so you could see the render image.

or export that shaded view as an image then reimport it? I don`t know if you can reference it.

twiceroadsfool
2010-07-09, 04:15 PM
I wouldnt use the Freeze Drawing tool at all. Its ugly. DWG export and import, replete with imported CAD remnants like fill patterns, etc. It also litters the model with weird erroneous parameters that it uses for something undefined.

jamal432585604
2012-11-02, 09:06 PM
Hi ford347,

Did you find “simple” shortcut to “pick” the plan?

Thanks

Jamal