PDA

View Full Version : 'seeing' voids

Bryan Thatcher
2010-07-08, 06:26 PM
In the family editor you can see the void you are modeling. But in the model is there a way to see them also?

Scott Womack
2010-07-08, 08:22 PM
If those voids are inside a family, no. If they are modeled "in-place" then you can hover over them just right, holding your toungue just so to the left..... and you can then select them.

Dimitri Harvalias
2010-07-09, 04:20 PM
keep in mind you'll need to select and edge of the void object for it to be found. So if you know where the edge of the void is you can place your cursor there and tab select to find the void.

jspartz
2010-07-09, 06:24 PM
Either hover over an edge of it, or find it within the family list and right-click on the name you gave it, and select all instances. I always make solids and then switch them to voids and tell it what to cut, so it doesn't just cut everything and disappear after I make it.

Bryan Thatcher
2010-07-12, 01:35 PM
how do I tell it what to cut? I think that's my problem. I'm trying to add a void in a family and have it cut elements in the model. Can I do that?

Ning Zhou
2010-07-12, 01:51 PM
use face based family

Bryan Thatcher
2010-07-12, 02:33 PM
the problem is there isn't a face available. They are bearing plates. They need to be placed a distance from the work plane in a wall. It depends how deep the beam is. I guess I could reference the face of the wall, but it needs to be centered in the wall.

Dimitri Harvalias
2010-07-12, 04:51 PM
You can still use a face based family. Create an 'offset' parameter to let Revit know how deep inside the beam or how far off the face the void needs to be. Only a faced based family can cut its host.