PDA

View Full Version : PDS Design Review File in navisworks

nazeebmh
2010-07-10, 11:53 AM
Guys,

Good day,

Most of the models I am working on is PDS models, they come with .dri extention, I have been using SmartPlant Review until recently I found that I can use Navisworks for the same.

The problem is, everytime I am trying to open it I am getting error saying "out of memory" some times it says "Please reduce the memory" some times it says "not enough memory"

And I have to adjust the memory in GLOBAL OPTIONS under performance.

and by luck sometimes the model will work or sometimes it will not.

I like navis because of it ease of use, and I somehow have to make this thing solved so that I never have to go back to Smart plant.

Please help me solve this issue.

Thanks

Nazeeb

dgorsman
2010-07-12, 05:00 PM
If I remember correctly, SmartPlant review was only installed on mondo-workstation class computers at my old company for good reason. What are your hardware stats?

nazeebmh
2010-07-13, 05:15 PM
I am having a DELL PRECISION T7400 , core 2 quad, 12 gb ram, windows xp, Nvidia Quadrofx5800 . Is there any other info needed?

matthew.monid
2010-10-19, 09:02 PM
Nazeeb,

I might have a solution for your "out of memory" issues, but I thought since it is along the same lines, I will throw in my question in case you have discovered a solution.

Are you using Windows 32 or 64-bit? I am trying to do exactly the same thing. We have a PDS model which we normally use SmartPlant Review to open (~1GB worth of files, not including the .mdb2). This file cannot be opened in Navisworks using our standard CAD machine (Dell Optiplex 760, Core2 Duo, 2GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro FX570, Windows XP 32-bit). It will run out of memory after about 20 minutes.

I had a 64-bit test machine built with the same specs as the machine mentioned above, except for 8GB of RAM and Windows XP 64-bit. This machine will open the file, but it will take 1 hour, 40 minutes.

Once the file is opened, it can be saved as an NWD file, and will open on either machine in under 10 seconds.

Is there a more efficient way of converting the PDS project so we don't have to wait almost two hours for it to open just to save it as an NWD?

Cheers!

Matt

nazeebmh
2010-10-20, 10:05 AM
Hi Matt,

I am using XP 64 Bit itself.

I am getting the same memory error , when I am trying to save the file to NWD.

If I am opening the model for second time, I am changing the input file type , in global options > PDS > input > , to NWC which enables to load the model faster. but still under the risk of getting memory error usually at the point when its merging duplicates.

Please let me know if you figure out anything.. absolutely any minor information will help.

Thanks

Nazeeb