PDA

View Full Version : Change line's work plane

dzatto
2010-07-13, 03:56 PM
Is there any way to change the plane that lines are drawn on?

Here's the issue:
I drew an in place sweep for a piece of door trim. When I created it, Revit had me draw the profile in the ref level plane. It worked great.

Now, I'm creating a window family with the same trim. I wanted to use the same profile, but the window family is forcing me to choose either left or right work planes, not the ref level plane.
Since I drew the profile free form, it doesn't have any "real" dimension properties. It's just a shape I came up with. I was hoping there was a quick way to do this without redrawing it.

In ACA, I could copy and paste it from one view to another and it would automatically orient to that view. How can I do that in Revit?

dzatto
2010-07-15, 02:57 PM
I wound up just measuring and drawing each line. But here's a question:

What determines what plan the profile needs to be sketched in? I did one door and I sketched it in plan. Now I'm doing another door and it will only let me sketch it in a side elevation.

Why the difference?

wmullett
2010-07-15, 03:58 PM
If you are doing a sweep, Revit automatically places the profile location in the midpoint of the first leg of the sweep path as it is drawn. .... so adjust how you draw the path accordingly.

Cbain
2010-07-15, 06:02 PM
What determines what plan the profile needs to be sketched in? I did one door and I sketched it in plan. Now I'm doing another door and it will only let me sketch it in a side elevation.

Why the difference?

Revit knows what view you are in when you begin a sketch and will always pick named reference/work planes in parallel projection to that view. If you want to draw a sweep profile, you need to be looking perpendicular to the end of the sweep. For example, if you are in a Left view, Revit will allow you to choose the (Center) Left/Right workplane. If you are in a Front view, Revit will allow you to choose the (Center) Front/Back workplane. Once you start a sketch in a certain view, you must create it using the named reference/workplanes Revit allows you to use based on that view. A way to avoid this issue is to start your sketch in a 3d view, which allows you to pick any workplane since you are able to see all of them.

If you start a profile sketch in a different view than was intended, you can copy the sketch lines to the clipboard and paste them in a new sketch session.

dzatto
2010-07-16, 08:09 PM
If you are doing a sweep, Revit automatically places the profile location in the midpoint of the first leg of the sweep path as it is drawn. .... so adjust how you draw the path accordingly.

Revit knows what view you are in when you begin a sketch and will always pick named reference/work planes in parallel projection to that view. If you want to draw a sweep profile, you need to be looking perpendicular to the end of the sweep. For example, if you are in a Left view, Revit will allow you to choose the (Center) Left/Right workplane. If you are in a Front view, Revit will allow you to choose the (Center) Front/Back workplane. Once you start a sketch in a certain view, you must create it using the named reference/workplanes Revit allows you to use based on that view. A way to avoid this issue is to start your sketch in a 3d view, which allows you to pick any workplane since you are able to see all of them.

If you start a profile sketch in a different view than was intended, you can copy the sketch lines to the clipboard and paste them in a new sketch session.

Good points guys. Thanks for the info. :beer: