PDA

View Full Version : Elevation in Shadow

STHRevit
2010-07-14, 04:50 AM
Hi all,

Revit 2010

I have had a look through the previous posts and have not managed to find an answer to help me.

Living in the southern hemisphere I find that the south elevations in my shaded and rendered views are always too dark.
I have tried to adjust the time of year, day, brightness, shadow intensity etc etc but it still seems not right. Normally I can find a way to correct this but not on this occasion.

My client is currently very concerned that the building is not presenting to a standard he is happy with, so my question is this. Is there a way to ignore the sun casting shadows and allow the light source to be located in the same location on each elevation ie from over your right shoulder.
I know this isn't technically correct, but the client wants the elevations to look a certain way and I cant work out how to do this.

Any ideas?

Scott D Davis
2010-07-14, 05:03 AM
yes, go to sun and shadow settings and there should be a default "sun from top right" that you can use in any view. If not, you can make one by setting the azimuth and altitude of a sun and shadow setting, rather than having it set by time, date, and place.

STHRevit
2010-07-14, 05:12 AM
yes, go to sun and shadow settings and there should be a default "sun from top right" that you can use in any view. If not, you can make one by setting the azimuth and altitude of a sun and shadow setting, rather than having it set by time, date, and place.

Hi Scott,
I thought there was a setting like "sun from top right" but it doesn't seem to be anywhere i can see, in any of my dialogue box's.
Any chance of a screen shot to make sure I am looking in the right place.

Much appreciated.

Scott D Davis
2010-07-14, 05:46 AM
here you go...this was using the default template.

STHRevit
2010-07-14, 06:31 AM
Thanks Scott,
Much appreciated. That looks suspiciously like RAC2011. I am using 2010.
I see what you mean by using the Azimuth. I will try that route.

Thanks again for your quick replies.

twiceroadsfool
2010-07-14, 01:16 PM
Thanks Scott,
Much appreciated. That looks suspiciously like RAC2011. I am using 2010.
I see what you mean by using the Azimuth. I will try that route.

Thanks again for your quick replies.

Sun from Top Right has been an option in every version ive ever used... But its basically a *type* so it may have been purged out of your project. Basically, make sure its NOT set to use real location and time for sun angle, and you can rotate the sun around all 360 degrees of your building...

Scott D Davis
2010-07-14, 04:00 PM
That looks suspiciously like RAC2011. I am using 2010..

oh....well then it's time to upgrade! Great new features in 2011.

STHRevit
2010-07-15, 08:48 AM
Aaron, I think you are spot on. Thanks.

Scott, for sure, it is time to upgrade, it is definitely on the to do list, finding the time is another issue all together.

Thanks guys.