PDA

View Full Version : Workflow question on details

FlipperNic
2010-07-14, 07:36 PM
Hi guys,

I'm relatively new on on Revit and doing my first detail. I'd like to show a full wall section, and then have separate detail callouts, but where should I focus on my detailing, on the full wall section that will be shown at smaller scale and then have another callout?

I would expect it to be smarter to work on a full wall section call out and then do smaller callouts for the details, but none of the detail lines gets propagated when I drag it to a sheet so I have a feeling this is not the preferred way.

All help appreciated.

wmullett
2010-07-14, 07:55 PM
We keep wall sections relatively simple and almost all model elements. Then we do our call outs and add detail components - edit cut profiles - etc. Any detail components - 2d linework etc that you add in a detail and think should also be in the section, you can just copy to clipboard and paste same place in the section. We only do this for a few select items.

FlipperNic
2010-07-14, 08:11 PM
Thanks for helping out, wmullett.

So if I basically want the same level of detail on my whole section, but show the details at a larger scale I need to create the linework twice (albeith via copy/paste)? I would have thought Revit would a smarter workflow here.

I looked at View Breaks, but it seems as if their is a similar issue in that I would have to duplicate the view and thereby disconnecting them.

wmullett
2010-07-14, 09:01 PM
2D elements are 2D ! If you want 3D ... all model views, then you need 3D elements.

Actually, I don't think there is very much that should be transferred from a detail to the wall section, if you have modeled it correctly. And the copy paste you do all at once - not one at a time.

I don't know what you mean about the view breaks.... why duplicate? Do you see the arrow to move the partial views closer together after breaking? You can multiple break a tall section and slide the individual areas almost back together. ... add break lines and done...

FlipperNic
2010-07-14, 09:37 PM
I may misunderstand or perhaps I'm just thick, but normally I do a wall section that basically has all the details needed, and I then create callouts on some of the parts I want enlarged that I put on separate sheets. Since these will be in different scale I assume I need to put them in a different view in Revit before dragging them to a sheet, correct? The problem I get here is that when I create a a callout from the full wall section all my 2D line work stays. I hear what you're saying, but since this a work in progress I now have to make changes in two places, right?

I could of course wait and do my last bigger detail when everything is finished, but there is always changes.

eric.piotrowicz
2010-07-14, 10:06 PM
I may misunderstand or perhaps I'm just thick, but normally I do a wall section that basically has all the details needed, and I then create callouts on some of the parts I want enlarged that I put on separate sheets. Since these will be in different scale I assume I need to put them in a different view in Revit before dragging them to a sheet, correct? The problem I get here is that when I create a a callout from the full wall section all my 2D line work stays. I hear what you're saying, but since this a work in progress I now have to make changes in two places, right?

I could of course wait and do my last bigger detail when everything is finished, but there is always changes.

What scale are your sections compared to your details? We only detail ate the detail level and leave the sections fairly minimal. The reason is that in a 1/2" section all of the 3" detail component work becomes a muddy unreadable mess once its plotted.

FlipperNic
2010-07-14, 10:48 PM
Yep, I guess that's the way it has to be. I was thinking that I would do all the detailing in one place and then do call outs from there. One repository for all changes, and have the fine and coarse settings come in when plotting.

Thanks again for your help! I see it more clearly now.