PDA

View Full Version : DIMENSION SUFFIX

cr_gixxer
2010-07-14, 11:29 PM
I am wondering if there is a way to adjust the spacing of the suffix to the numeric dimension. There seems to be a gap between them that at times, when the drawing gets crowded, it can be misread.

The supressing spaces option only seems to work for the numeric portion of the dimension

thanks

Cbain
2010-07-15, 05:04 AM
The default space between the actual dimension value and a suffix is defined by a system parameter, which cannot be changed. One can make the gap larger by adding spaces before the suffix. Do you have an example of how a dimension suffix is getting misread in a complex drawing and how making the actual dimension and suffix closer together will actually help?

cr_gixxer
2010-07-15, 07:57 PM
Our office does not use wall tags, as the boss is opposed to them.argh! We have to label the wall types by their overall width with a legend on each sheet specific for that plan. The problem arises when we have two wall types with the same thickness (same construction with type x gypsum for a rated wall for instance). For metric drawings we bump the thickness of the wall up by a millimeter to differentiate between the two. For imperial drawings though, I don't want to bump up the dimension by some crazy number like 1/32", and to bump it up by 1/8" would cause confusion when the framers have to lay out the walls. So I have been adding a suffix -R to the wall dimension to differentiate the two, but the gap makes it a bit harder to read as a cohesive string.

I know, I know, we should be using tags, but we can't seem to win the argument. Help with arguments for tags would be appreciated.

Cbain
2010-07-17, 01:41 AM
Why is your boss opposed to wall tags? Why use Revit if you can't use the tool as it was intended? Can you post a graphic of what you are doing?

patricks
2010-07-19, 08:02 PM
So in your dimension strings you dimension the overall thicknesses of walls to the face of finish? Ouch. I never liked that method. A single dimension to the centerline of interior walls and outside face of core of exterior walls always seems to work best. But that would of course require the use of wall tags. :)