PDA

View Full Version : "such-n-such family is currently not editable..."

patricks
2010-07-16, 01:00 PM
In the days of automatic element/workset borrowing, why do we still see this message when editing a family and reloading it into the project? Who cares if it's not editable. Borrow it and make it editable! Don't ask me if I want to do it. Just do it! :p

Just seems odd that it still asks every time a family is edited and reloaded if it's not currently borrowed by you. If you change the type properties of a family, it automatically borrows it. It doesn't ask you first. Is this just something left over from the early worksharing days?

eric.piotrowicz
2010-07-16, 03:08 PM
To me it seems like when the Edit Family comand is picked and then you get the pop up "Open XXXX for Editing?" If No is picked then nothing happens but if Yes is picked then it should automatically borrow and make editable that family by that user. Maybe I'm nuts but it doesn't seem like that is much different than selecting an element and opening the Properties box. You might make a change and you might not but that element is still borrowed until the next STC.

patricks
2010-07-16, 03:11 PM
To me it seems like when the Edit Family comand is picked and then you get the pop up "Open XXXX for Editing?" If No is picked then nothing happens but if Yes is picked then it should automatically borrow and make editable that family by that user. Maybe I'm nuts but it doesn't seem like that is much different than selecting an element and opening the Properties box. You might make a change and you might not but that element is still borrowed until the next STC.

Actually it doesn't even do that anymore in 2011. When you click on a family and hit the Edit button, it immediately opens that family in the family editor.

eric.piotrowicz
2010-07-16, 03:19 PM
Actually it doesn't even do that anymore in 2011. When you click on a family and hit the Edit button, it immediately opens that family in the family editor.

Darn, I've only been using 11 sporatically since most of my projects are still in 10 :Oops: I do see what you're saying now and have to agree that it should just make that family borrowed and editable when the edit family command is run.