PDA

View Full Version : Linetype Subcatagory

bclarch
2004-12-15, 08:08 PM
This is probably one of those things that is right under my nose but I can't see it. I have created a "setback" linestyle for use on site plans. How do I get it to be a subcategory of the site category in the visibility settings so that I can switch it on and off with the other site stuff. What's the obvious thing that I'm missing? Feeling like a newbie.

aaronrumple
2004-12-15, 09:04 PM
Linework is in a category of itself. It can't be switched off with sitework.

What you can do is make subcategories under sitework in the families and have that linework turn on and off as a subcategory of sitework.

bclarch
2004-12-16, 04:35 PM
Good news and bad news I guess. Good news is that I wasn't missing something obvious. Bad news is that it is annoying not to be able to do this. Off to the wishlist forum I guess. Thanks Aaron.

aggockel50321
2004-12-16, 04:42 PM
You should see your linestyle listed under View / visibility/graphics / lines, and be able to toggle it on & off there.

It's listed under the model categories tab, which may throw you off in the hunt...

bclarch
2004-12-16, 05:03 PM
You should see your linestyle listed under View / visibility/graphics / lines, and be able to toggle it on & off there.

It's listed under the model categories tab, which may throw you off in the hunt...
Thanks Andrew but what I would like to be able to do is to make the line a subcategory of the "site" category instead of the "lines" category similar to the way that property lines are. That way I could draw setback lines and easement lines on the site that could be turned on and off with one click instead of three.

aaronrumple
2004-12-16, 05:09 PM
Here's your solution:

Create a new Setback line style.
Draw the setback using the property line tool (pick with an offset from the original works great.)
Use the linework tool too change the linework of the property lines representaing the setback to Setback.

The linework will be as you like and the object will turn on/off with the sitework elements.

Just have to mix and match the tools to suit.

bclarch
2004-12-16, 05:55 PM
Here's your solution:

Create a new Setback line style.
Draw the setback using the property line tool (pick with an offset from the original works great.)
Use the linework tool too change the linework of the property lines representaing the setback to Setback.

The linework will be as you like and the object will turn on/off with the sitework elements.

Just have to mix and match the tools to suit.
Good work around graphically speaking, but I believe that it might create another problem. Since the linework tool just changes the appearance of the line but not it's actual type, won't the additional property lines appear in the property line schedule? Seems like it would be cleaner to have the setback lines etc. be native to the site. And, if the setback lines were system families like property lines, they could probably be scheduled too. Then one could calculate site area vs. buildable area, % of site devoted to utility easements, area devoted to retention. Hmmmm... the possibilities are intriguing. I know, someone is going to tell me that you can already do this somehow using the area analysis tools but I'm just typing these things as they pop into my head.

aaronrumple
2004-12-16, 06:05 PM
Actually has the advantage of scheduling areas.

If each "property line" is a separate sketch - each will be a line item on the schedule.
If you want to be able to filter the "property lines" by type - just add a "Type" parameter to the property line object. You can then separate them on different schedules and yes with some calculated values do a net vs. gross calc.

aggockel50321
2004-12-16, 06:15 PM
Nifty trick, Aaron.

bclarch
2004-12-16, 06:22 PM
Actually has the advantage of scheduling areas.

If each "property line" is a separate sketch - each will be a line item on the schedule.
If you want to be able to filter the "property lines" by type - just add a "Type" parameter to the property line object. You can then separate them on different schedules and yes with some calculated values do a net vs. gross calc.
Yeah, I was just playing around with this because of the ideas popping into my head during my previous post. It does present some interesting possibilities. Still would be cleaner with native system family linetypes though.