PDA

View Full Version : Making Beam Structures in Architecture

barrie.sharp
2010-07-19, 01:57 PM
Have a very simple structure to replicate. Have to reproduce the beam system in the attached photo.

Do I create 3 beams?

Flat column with connector included
Round brace beam with connector at each end
Round beamShould I include connectors in the beam family (is that how it works)? Don't normally go into framing so this is a new one for me.

Thanks

Mike Sealander
2010-07-19, 03:31 PM
I'd go custom columns with caps, as you suggest, custom pipe beams with attached connectors for the center pipe beam, and custom double T ridge beam. Since I don't think you are going to analyze the structure, you could do the whole thing as a single in-place family, but I like the custom .rfa approach myself.

barrie.sharp
2010-07-20, 08:13 AM
I'd go custom columns with caps, as you suggest, custom pipe beams with attached connectors for the center pipe beam, and custom double T ridge beam. Since I don't think you are going to analyze the structure, you could do the whole thing as a single in-place family, but I like the custom .rfa approach myself.
Just to clarify, the connectors/caps should be nested families?

barrie.sharp
2010-07-20, 11:48 AM
I have made my beams but Revit is being a bit odd.

Should beams move with grids like columns or do you have to lock them?
When the beam is attached to a column, why does the geometry miss when it goes to the grips unconnected (attached jpg)
My column geomtry doesn't adjust so I have put in a connector offset parameter
If I change my column heights, should the beams adjust with them?Thanks

patricks
2010-07-20, 01:33 PM
Is this just an existing structure you're making in Revit, or is this a new structure that will be similar but a different size? If the former, do you really need everything to be parametric?

barrie.sharp
2010-07-20, 04:32 PM
Is this just an existing structure you're making in Revit, or is this a new structure that will be similar but a different size? If the former, do you really need everything to be parametric?
I hear what you are saying. The later unfortunately. Different sizes and an optional configuration using the same elements. I can't complain too much though because it's a good one to cut my teeth on.

I'm starting to get it. Framing is a beast of its own. I have the beam ends following column connection points now. It's still a bit unpredicatable with the automatic geometry cleanup but I have got my connection offset parameter working for me. I guess Revit structure is better at handling the conditions.