PDA

View Full Version : Cropping Linked Files Set to "Current View Only"

Phil Read
2003-10-01, 12:07 PM
Beegee asked that I respost this:

Normally if you link a file with "Current View Only" selected it doesn't crop.

So try this: relink the file during Create In Place mode - you'll have to select a subcatagory (perhaps selecting Site as the subcatagory if it's from a survey/civil consultant, etc.). And make sure you have Link and Current View Only selected.

When you Finish Family - the crop boundary will work on the linked file.

Another Tip: Normally if you link 3D data, Revit shows the elevation in the section views. However - if you link 3D DWG/etc during In Place mode - Revit will cut sections of the geometry.

Finally - you'll be able to reload the link without editing the in place family.

All the best -

Phil Read
Autodesk Revit

aggockel50321
2003-10-01, 02:29 PM
Phil,

I tried your tip, but I still keep losing all the text in the drawing, i.e, the view behaves the same as if I imported the drawing directly (not within an in-place family) without "current view only" checked.

Any ideas??

Wes Macaulay
2003-10-01, 03:43 PM
I'm having the same experience, Andrew... it's the same as when you try to import geometry from DWG into a family: the text does not come through.

The only thing to do (so far) has been to go into the DWG and crop it there, then bring it back to Revit.

Another good reason to bundle a seat of AutoCAD into the price of Revit (http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=7245#7245).

aggockel50321
2003-10-01, 04:49 PM
That's what I've been doing also, chopping them up. I end up with a lot of dwg files with new names.

Taylor A
2003-10-02, 01:29 AM
I like it....works great.....you still have control over the AutoCAD layers :)
Shame about the text though :cry: