PDA

View Full Version : 3D printing problem

Chad Smith
2004-12-15, 11:20 PM
Despite the slowness of printing views with shadows, I thought I would give it another go.

The first attached PDF shows a 3D in full, minus shadows.
The second PDF show a 3D with shadows but notice that there is a portion missing.

This error is happening on about 90% of the projects I try this on, and is always the foreground that is missing. It's almost like there is a clipping plane.

This error also happens when I've tried a DWF and when printing to the various printers in the office.

beegee
2004-12-16, 12:20 AM
It looks to me like a printer memory problem.

Can you use computer memory for printing ?

Chad Smith
2004-12-16, 12:35 AM
I've tried playing around with various printer properties, and even tried printing as raster, but get the same results.
The fact that it happens on every printer I try, whether it be physical or virtual, and only when shadows are on, leads me to believe that it's a Revit problem.

Mr Spot
2004-12-16, 07:41 AM
Interesting, are the shadows applied, using direct settings or time/date/place?

ariasdelcid
2004-12-16, 09:44 AM
Is clearly a case of printer memory...Try spooling to the comp processor instead.

Chad Smith
2004-12-16, 09:08 PM
Interesting, are the shadows applied, using direct settings or time/date/place?
I've been using the 'Directly' option.

Is clearly a case of printer memory...
For each of the 6 printers I have tried it on? With each printer having it's own varying amount of memory, I would expect each print to have a varying amount of error. But each printer plots a drawing with the exact same amount of error.

Mr Spot
2004-12-16, 10:09 PM
Yeah i don't think its a memory issue, as is evident with the PDF print... which definitely uses computer memory as opposed to printer memory.

I think its a glitch with the directly setting, just as a test i would try to match the shadows with time/date/place and see if you get the same results. As directly, defines the shadows individually based on the view containing them (ie: determines from the Picture Plane). Alternatively, you could try extending the crop region and use a filled region to block the unwanted section...

Chad Smith
2004-12-17, 12:02 AM
Sorry Chris, I get the same results.

Mr Spot
2004-12-17, 12:31 AM
Bugger... I'm out of ideas for the moment. I'll see what else I can think of.

What about extending the crop region, did that make a difference?

Chad Smith
2004-12-17, 12:39 AM
The extended crop region didn't make any difference either, even if I make it huge.

Thanks for your comments guys. Autodesk are still looking over the problem too, seems to have them stumped too.