PDA

View Full Version : Floor joists wont extend to ext. face of wall

Kkanczuz
2010-07-26, 10:23 PM
Im doing a beam system to play I-joists at different angles throughout a house. Im manually sketching the border to the outside face of the wall. No matter what Ive tried though, the joists keep stopping at the interior of the wall, on a particular wall especially.

Any ideas? I want them to sit on top of the wall, maybe offset to put a rim joist around, flush with the outside.

Thanks.

mthurnauer
2010-07-27, 10:45 AM
When I have done it I have modeled beams around the perimeter ( as rim joists) of the floor and used the align command to align the rim joists with the outside face of the core layer of my walls. I then do my beam system and sketch the boundary picking the inside edge of the rim joists that are located at the ends of the floor joists. I will adjust the edge of the beam system that is parallel to the joists as necessary adjust the starting offset of the joist spacing. I have not encountered problems with the joists extensions for the floor joists with this method, but it can sometimes be hard to clean up the corners of the rim joists.

Kkanczuz
2010-07-27, 02:11 PM
Darn its still doing it to me. I created a rim joist as a wall and did the perimeter of a section. The joists still want to stop at the inside of the wall instead of extending. The one section of my home that does not currently have a wall coming up under does not cut the joists off.

When I try to turn a beam into a band joist it will only let me select wall centerline to lay it out. Also cant figure out any easy way to get the corners to meet. Is there any way to change this?

I tried extending the start and ends by the necessary wall thicknesses to no luck also.

Well I guess I just save it from this point and move on with a regular floor if anyone figures out a solution I could try. Ive searched but havent found anything that works.

mthurnauer
2010-07-27, 03:15 PM
Draw your rim joist as structural beams and then use the align command to align it with the exterior of the core layer of the walls. You may not be able to draw it in the exact right location right off the bat.

Kkanczuz
2010-07-27, 03:34 PM
Eh, still doesnt do it.

I created the band joist on center, aligned it to the outside, set the beam boundary to the inside of the joists; still it stops at the inside of the wall. My corners were not perfect but I dont see that mattering.