PDA

View Full Version : One solution to light fixtures on electrical plan

jwilhelm
2004-12-16, 07:02 AM
Problem: how to have a light fixture that shows a symbolic representation in plan view and the actual fixture in the ceiling plan.

issue: as far as I can tell object visibility can not be set to view in "RCP" but not "plan" since the two share the same check box. consequently a light fixture with a symbolic plan view shows both the model&the symbolic lines together on both RCP&plan views.

solution: the only solution I have come up with is to set the model portion of the fixture to display only in "medium"detail level, & set the rcp to medium detail & set the symbolic line symbol that you want to show in plan to display only in "course" then set the floor plan view to display as course. This will display the light fixture symbol in the floor plan & the actual physical fixture in the RCP. The downside is that the plan must only be displayed in "course", I suppose one could display the rcp object in "fine" and the plan symbol in course&medium" for more flexibilty. It seems to me that the Family editor visibility settings need to have a seperate selection for "plan" & "rcp", that would solve this problem. If anyone has another solution I would love to hear it.

I have attached an example that includes a simple electrical/RCP plan along with a light fixture.

PeterJ
2004-12-16, 09:50 AM
Or build your family with the physical geometry in a separate subcategory to the main light fitting categories so you can switch it off using the View Visibility dialog...

Andre Baros
2004-12-16, 04:47 PM
Yeah, I've pretty much made three subcategories for all light fittings
Fixture Glass
Housing, concealed (just for conflict checking recessed cans)
Housing, visible
Plan Symbols

Electric plans use the symbols, RCP's use the housing and glass, and HVAC and struct use the concealed.

jwilhelm
2004-12-17, 03:10 AM
I concur Pete & andrebaros,
having tried your solution the clear winner is to create subcategories for the fixture geometry & the symbolic lines. Then turn the appropriate one off in the respective plan views. Thanks for the tip.