PDA

View Full Version : What controls the direction of a custom baluster?

patricks
2010-07-27, 02:02 PM
I tried to make a baluster with an end loop extension to be used at the bottom of a stair rail for the 12" flat extension required by ADA. I made the hoop extend in the down direction of the sloping ref planes in the baluster template (hoop rail is horizontal, but is on the side of the post where the sloped ref planes point downward).

Now when I use it in a project, and set it at the end of a hand rail, it points backwards back up the slope. What controls this?

When sketching the rail, I drew the sketch going down the stairs, with the end of the rail at the bottom of the stairs, and the baluster set as the end post in the rail type.

Alfredo Medina
2010-07-27, 05:06 PM
I think Revit gets confused when you draw the sketch from top to bottom of the stairs and then you specify the post as the End post, being at the first riser, though. So, the direction of the stairs has more importance in this than the direction of the line you use for the railing sketch.

Try sketching the railing by using "pick lines", instead, setting the stairs as the host. Then, set the post to be the Start post, not the End post. By doing this, Revit gets the correct left-right, start-end relation from the stairs, and applies it to the railing.