PDA

View Full Version : Revit Data Transfer Tool

MikeJarosz
2010-07-28, 02:16 PM
The Revit Data Transfer Tool was recommended to me by another BIM Manager. I recently started as a BIM manager for a firm that does Justice Architecture, and all of our clients are government agencies of one sort or another. One characteristic they all share is a reliance on a tight, well structured building program. Most of these buildings are more than just core and shell; they usually include tenant fit outs in meticulous detail. So much so that we have a dedicated staff member who spends full time on space programming.

I have been hired to guide their transition to Revit. We have several projects in the pipeline that are earmarked for Revit. Our programmer has been doing his thing for years -- in Excel. He has acquired a lot of experience and techniques, again, -- in Excel.

All I know about the Data transfer tool is what the factory has posted on the web......not the most objective source of info. Is it true it's available from the Autodesk subscription center? What costs are involved? Does it work as promised?

Has anyone out there used this tool?

Incidentally, for those of you who missed me: I'm back! After a long spell in the wilderness, Mrs. Peel is back in the saddle again. As in the past, I will be consulting this forum regularly.

The unofficial word in the NYC architecture community is that unemployment is at around 27%. I could fascinate and entertain you all with tales of jobhunting in this market, but that would be off topic, and possibly suicidal.

cdatechguy
2010-07-28, 02:42 PM
At one point I was tasked to figure out how to get the Excel file and possibly the DOS program that updated the Excel file to work with Revit. It got put on the backburner because I started working on a different type of Justice project.

Oh...I created a lot of Shared Parameters that are linked to the families and overall model. This way our "Excel" folk (yes, we have them too) could easily modify a schedule without having to search out individual families and modify them, and also to keep all the data in the Revit file and not in a separate file.