PDA

View Full Version : Copy Monitor & Grid Extents

krish.d.rao
2010-07-28, 03:25 PM
I have been looking to find documentation regarding modifying column grid extents in a copy/monitor environment.
Presently we are working on a large project that has been split up into 5 linked files. The column grids were originally created in one of these files and then copy& monitored across all the other files. Not all of the column grids need to extend from the basement levels to the roof (16th floor). Some grids drop off at the ground and others drop off at various levels above. As you can imagine, the level at which these grids stop keeps changing not infrequently. The issue that we are running into is that every time the vertical extents of these grids are changed, the copy/monitor tool does not seem to pick up the changes to the extents in the linked files.
Does anybody know if this is a limitation of the copy monitor tool or am I missing something. Appreciate your help in advance.
Thanks

eric.piotrowicz
2010-07-28, 05:52 PM
Since the C/M tool allows users in each link to adjust the grid extents on a per view basis the C/M tool does not read changes to the extents. If it did then everytime a new model was available all of your views would need readjusted.

krish.d.rao
2010-08-04, 06:48 PM
I should have been clearer in my earlier post but what I was talking about was adjusting the 3D extents or the model extents of grids. I also posted this question to Autodesk through our subscription portal and got back the following response after 5 days
"After doing quite a bit of research, it appears that this issue is caused by a lack of functionality in Revit. The copy monitor feature does not work with some features, and 3d extents is one of them"
This is just stupid and there is no documentation regarding this serious shortcoming. I am not sure if anybody at Autodesk realizes this but all grids on a large project do not rise all the way up to the top of the building. And on larger projects where the model is typically broken into linked files this shortcoming in CM tool is a killer.
We were aware of it's limitation with regards to columns, floors and walls but levels and grids seemed to be the only elements that made sense for copy monitoring. At this point this tool looks completely useless. I certainly hope Autodesk will fix CM tool in the next release.

cliff collins
2010-08-04, 06:56 PM
Is it possible to use Scope Boxes in both files to control the Grids?

just a thought.......

cheers