PDA

View Full Version : create similar

Bryan Thatcher
2010-07-28, 06:56 PM
using create similar appears to strip the types out of a family. They are there but do not respond when set to another type. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? Thanks.

patricks
2010-07-28, 07:10 PM
What are you trying to create? I use Create Similar ALL the time, and never really had any problems other than sometimes creating a similar wall will not apply the same top and bottom constraints as the source wall.

Bryan Thatcher
2010-07-28, 07:11 PM
No, actually, it turns out they have lost the ability to change type regardless of how they were created. How can I fix this? Thanks.

patricks
2010-07-28, 07:17 PM
Can you tell us a little bit more about the family in question, or maybe post an example?

Bryan Thatcher
2010-07-28, 08:44 PM
The types do work in the family file, but not in the model after i start working with it. While you in it if you could take a look at this post also I would greatly appreciate it...

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=121817

...Thanks.

iankids
2010-07-28, 09:01 PM
Hi Bryan,

I downloaded your bearing plate family, loaded it into a project - create similar and then changed type from BP1 to BP3.

All worked as expected, I can't replicate the problem you have described.

Cheers,

Ian

Further info: Revit 2011 WU1 Win7 64bit 8gb ram ATI Video Card

Bryan Thatcher
2010-09-29, 06:56 PM
This again. You said the type changed from 1 to 3 but did the bearing plate actually chance size? The types are available but changing them has no effect on the family. Thanks.

cliff collins
2010-09-29, 08:18 PM
Make sure the family "flexes" when in the family itself, then check very carefully again when the family is loaded into the project.

Then do a "create similar" in the project after confirming the family flexes per above.

If it changes Type but does not flex, then it could be a bug related to the "create similar"
function?

Let us know what you find out.

cheers

Bryan Thatcher
2010-09-30, 02:25 PM
Yes, it flexes by itself when editing, but not when in the model. I originally thought it had to do with using the create similar. It worked when I originally brought it in, started making copies, and it 'broke'. On further investigation i realize it has nothing to do with create copy. I used this old thread because it had the family and history. Any ideas? Thanks.

iankids
2010-09-30, 08:20 PM
Hi Bryan,

Retried the family and it is as you repoted, name changes size remains the same.

When having a quick look at the family, I noticed that the dimensions controlling the size of the bearing plate and void etc were a mixture of instance and type parameters.

I changed all of the instance parameters to type parameters and reloaded into project.

Create similar now changes the name and size as expected.

As I am still very much a beginner in family creation, I can't explain why it might be the cause, if indeed it is the cause, but I guess that type catalogs prefer that all dimensions are type dimensions. Happy to be corrected if this is total nonsense.

Let us know if it works your end.

Ian